leeks

• 6 Replies

jambop

leeks
« on: April 18, 2016, 20:27 »
Another leek thread but hopefully a quick answer will end it! :)
I am just about to start planting my leeks which I buy at the local market. Anyway this year to get a bit more white on them and being a lazy sort I have decided to grow them threw a ridge about four inches high. Question is.... any reason not to do this ?

oldgrunge

Re: leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 21:24 »
None at all. I plant my leeks in holes which are then filled with water. As the leeks grow, I draw the soil up around them in ridges, in order to blanch them.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 23:02 »
The leeks will grow well. Sometimes leeks that have soil ridged against them do get a bit of grit between the leaves as they grow, which is not good in the kitchen.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 13:25 »
This is good information to store away until next year when i may well be planting leeks. I've acquired an extra bit of space, effectively an additional 50% in which to plant. This year i had a real struggle in managing my aspirations when it came to deciding what to actually plant. I guess that's everyone's dilemma irrespective of the size of planting area. Yes?

BTW Jambop, thank you for your recoomendations for trebon transplants. I managed to locate some at my local market and they are powering along. At just 4euro for a bunch of 50 (which amounted to 67) i don't think i'll be bothering with seeds for onions next year, with the exception of bunching, spring and LFR's. Thanks again for the heads up.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 18:02 »
Last year I dug a trench about 6 inches deep, ridged the soil from the trench up at the edge of the trench.  I then dibbed the leeks in to the bottom of the trench in the usual way i.e. Dibbed a hole dropped leek in and watered.  As the leeks grew I filled the trench in with the soil from the ridge.  Worked well and I got a good amount of white on my leeks and would recommend it.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 18:52 »
Last year I dug a trench about 6 inches deep, ridged the soil from the trench up at the edge of the trench.  I then dibbed the leeks in to the bottom of the trench in the usual way i.e. Dibbed a hole dropped leek in and watered.  As the leeks grew I filled the trench in with the soil from the ridge.  Worked well and I got a good amount of white on my leeks and would recommend it.

That sounds perfect!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 21:15 »

I thought about doing that but the ground gets very hard here when the ground dries out so a ridge seemed a good alternative... soon find out :)

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 21:55 by mumofstig »

xx
leeks

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 10, 2012, 20:19
by mumofstig
xx
Leeks

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:06
by mumofstig
xx
Leeks.

Started by Grasshopper on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 12:43
by Stripey_cat
xx
202 leeks... so far...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 20:32
by Growster...

Page created in 0.746 seconds with 36 queries.