Simple summer raspberry question.

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Simple summer raspberry question.
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:47 »
I feel I should already know the answer to this but honestly I don't think I've paid enough attention to them to notice.

Do last years canes get any thicker ? I know they sprout a bit but does the actual cane swell. I spent far too much time yesterday securing the canes with bits of string allowing plenty of room for growth and encouraging all the weedy canes to grow straight and up the wires nicely. It would be a much quicker job if I tied them in with wire and binned the wimpy canes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Simple summer raspberry question.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 12:41 »
Try this for size
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00k603t

Tie them up how you want, but it's a nice pic for spacing, and how much he's cut off  ;)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 12:49 »
I tie mine up the way he does, with a single length of twine, it prevents the canes from slipping sideways.

I saw that first on the RHS site.

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 13:51 »
I've never measured them but assumed they do. If you look at a second year cane the surface looks as though it has split in various directions one layer a a time them dries and peels off.  I assumed this was where the surface dries and 'dies' then as the cane swells it splits that surface layer and another layer then becomes the surface. Akin to the surface of a tree like silver birch.

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 11:13 »
Monty does seem to be lashing those in tightly. I've been busy doing a figure of 8 securing each cane.

I suppose the simple answer is to try it but I wonder why that doesn't cut the sap off above the tether  :unsure:

3759allen

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 11:51 »
i think they do swell but not a huge amount, not like a tree. i leave my ties loose, just tie them above a branch and they will sit there nicely.

i tie mine individually using strands of telephone wire which is stiff but thin copper covered wire, because it's single strand stiff copper you put it round what your tying and put a couple of twist in and it stays as it is. no tying and you can re use them for 3/ 4 years until the plastic coatings breaks up.

i have found using nylon string before that the prickly stems can blow around in the wind and leave the string frayed and looking like a birds nest. maybe this doesn't happen with twine or if you tie them tight.

i think they say thin out to 3 canes to 1 plant, removing the weaker ones and keeping the stronger healthier ones.

xx
Summer raspberry question

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 15:56
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
Summer Raspberry's

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2014, 12:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Un-pruned summer raspberry advice

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 19:01
by gobs
xx
summer raspberry - shoots dropping off

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 23:05
by ally

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.