When to plant my seedlings

• 5 Replies

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
When to plant my seedlings
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:07 »
So, I'm absurdly thrilled at seeing my little seedlings coming up. I have cauliflower and lettuce seedlings about 1.5/2" high and my fennel is showing signs of germination this morning.

My question is: do I transplant these little seedlings outside, or into another, deeper tray? They look far too delicate to put in my raised beds, but I think I should be doing something with them now.

Sorry if this seems like an incredibly basic question - this is my first season at growing veggies.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: When to plant my seedlings
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 11:17 »
It might be basic but it is very important!!

Cauliflowers and lettuce will best planted on into small pots, or into individual spaces in trays divided into modules. This way their roots are less disturbed when you plant them into their final places. If you only have a seed tray, make sure you space them out well, at least five inches apart. They might look silly but once they have another two or three sets of leaves they will soon fill up the space! You can plant the caulis as deep as up to their seed leaves.

Is the fennel Florence Fennel  grown for the large white bulbous base, or the herb fennel?  Either does not take kindly to moving, so thinning them out in the tray so they ca grow on a bit and planting them out into the ground as soon as you have space would suit them best imho

I hope that helps a bit
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:09 »
Thanks for your reply, Sunflower.
I'll replant the cauli and lettuce into some yogurt pots I've been saving.
The fennel is Victorio - grown for its bulb. I'll follow your advice and re-pot them once they've grown a bit.

My broccoli and leeks aren't showing signs of life yet - I planted all the seeds at the same time. I realise that some take longer to germinate, but should I be getting worried? The friend who gave me the broccoli seeds said they were a bit old.
They were all planted on 4th April (the lettuce seeds started germinating two days after sowing).

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 20:53 »
Where are you growing the cauli & broccoli?  Brassicas don't like much heat at all.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 22:13 »
There is still hope if those seeds were sown on 4th April. Leeks take around ten to fourteen days I've found. Broccoli could pop up still too

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 22:35 »
There are signs of life in my leek tray this afternoon.
The cauli and broccoli seeds are sown in the same tray and only the cauli seeds have sprouted so far - and they're looking fine.
All my seed trays are currently in a spare bedroom. The heating was coming on for an hour in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening, but we've turned the heating off now.

cheesy
When to plant out onion seedlings

Started by Weston grower on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 08:42
by Weston grower
clip
Should I plant out these leek seedlings?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 11:52
by sunshineband
xx
Is it okay to plant my cabbage seedlings

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 20, 2013, 08:18
by blackberryjam
xx
When can I plant out sweetcorn seedlings?

Started by Oscar Too on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2007, 10:19
by Oscar Too

Page created in 0.404 seconds with 36 queries.