LEEKS

• 17 Replies

wapello

• Experienced Member
LEEKS
« on: April 08, 2016, 10:19 »
 Many years ago i use to help my old grandad in the garden with the leeks he would dib a deep hole put the leek
 in bit of soil  to cover the roots then me being the boy my job was to top up with soot, do they still do this today,?
Colin

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: LEEKS
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 10:32 »
It's the same - except no soot.
The thought is nowadays, that soot contains too many 'nasties' to be used like that. We just water into the hole which washes enough water over the roots, then leave the hole open for the leeks to grow up :)

mdjlucan

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 10:34 »
Is it too late to plant leeks now
metal detector man

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48 »
I hope not, my leeks are still germinating ;)

If anything, I can eat them as "baby leeks" if they don't have enough growing time to reach their full potential. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12 »
Is it too late to plant leeks now

If you mean sowing leeks, it probably is a bit late for the UK, but as Casey76 says, you can still do it but will probably not get full sized leeks.

Not late at all for transplanting young leek plants - mine usually go out after the first early spuds
have finished at the end of June(-ish) although you could do it earlier than that (short of space here.)

You could of course look out for young leek plants in garden centres over the next few weeks...
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

madcat

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:16 »
Mine are only just germinating too, so they better get a move on. :D  (Difficult March meant they weren't planted as soon as they should have been, but they will catch up I hope.)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2016, 13:00 »
Both my Below Zero and Musselburgh leeks say to sow from mid March to late May, so not too late to sow now - as long as they are a late season variety.

Obviously it is too late to sow something like Porvite Autumn Giant 2, which suggests sowing under glass mid January to February.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2016, 13:16 »
A bit off the main topic, but I can also recommend Nipper, which is a fast maturing baby leek from T&M. 

I sowed small pinches of seed in modules through the season last year, planted them as they were and got some really nice crops  :)  So nice in fact that I am repeating the process this year and have my first batch germinating now  :D

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 13:19 »
I don't think it too late. Mine are just germinating in seed trays!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 16:10 »
If you do sow and they still look like blades of grass after 3-4 weeks try a liquid feed - bought composts can be very variable in the amount of nutrients they contain.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 16:34 »
If they're not going to achieve the size you hope for, just sow more of a late variety!

Our onions failed a few years ago, so in went another couple of rows of leeks, and they made up for the loss.

Ours are always a winter variety, and at the moment, are about an inch high in trays in the greenhouse, so plenty of time - we hope, as usual...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 19:21 »
I always laugh at the instruction to plant out leeks when they reach the thickness of a pencil. Most years mine are more like biro refills on planting out (following first early potatoes as Growster does) but they still manage to be a decent size for eating around Christmas-tide onwards.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 19:28 »
i didn't sow mine until the end of may last year and they were fine. i left them over winter and still got some in the bed now that still look and taste good. if anything it saves room in the freezer as you can harvest when you want.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 19:31 »
I never need to freeze leeks as they just sit there until you want them. Even in the (occasionally round here) tough winters, I have dug them and kept them part buried upright in a box of compost in the garage and they have been fine. I did trim the leaves back on these ones before "planting" them in the box though.

A real favourite, leeks!!

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 06:01 »
 Well from my first post about leeks, i sowed the seed in a tray  anyway they came up  when i could handle them
 [ive been saving the tube from toilet rolls cut in half]  and a nice sunny day 2 weeks ago transplanted  one leek per tube, there up about 4  inches now, i got 20 plants more than enough for the both of us,
 Also ive planted out 4 rows of carrots,  4 rows of parsnip, 2 rows beetroot and i have 2 x 6ft of guttering with peas
 that are on there way,
 just working  on my been canes  as my runner beans are up and running,
 tried to put some pics up but its telling me there to big so just working out how to cut them down,,
 Its 6am and for the last 45 mins, there been a blackbird singing its heart out on a telegraph pole outside loverly to hear,,,, :)

xx
leeks what next?

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 18:24
by zazen999
xx
When to put in leeks?

Started by Auntiemogs on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 17:19
by Auntiemogs
xx
leeks pic

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 10:44
by AmandaLouise
xx
What can I do about my leeks

Started by Rach76 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 10, 2019, 18:41
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.425 seconds with 38 queries.