More about fruit trees...

• 2 Replies

Casey76

More about fruit trees...
« on: April 07, 2016, 13:13 »
Are "family" or other grafted trees with paying the extra for?

My local GC started selling bi-variety cordon (U or V) pear, apple and cherry trees this year.

I could be tempted for next year, but they are pretty expensive - about 50-60€

However they don't specify what rootstock, or the eventual finished height.  As I already have a 30ft cherry (which has been reduced in size dramatically this year, and to be finished next year) and an awful apple tree (which I plan to get removed next year), I'm rather keen to get very dwarfing rootstock if possible.

In the same GC, I've also seen the "patio/balcony" fruit trees, which only grow 6', and there is a lot more variety (including other stone fruit such as apricots and peaches), and was wondering if they would be a better bet - I could also probably keep them in pots (does that actually work?) and wheel them into the GH over winter.

Decisions, decisions... it could all be a moot point though as it all depends on me being able to get the apple tree removed :/

Trikidiki

Re: More about fruit trees...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 19:12 »
"Family" trees are very expensive for what you are getting (basically you are buying the growers time). If you only have space for one tree and there are no other trees in the area then they are a good idea as (assuming the grafter has chosen compatible varieities) they will mutually pollinate each other (except triploids, ask another question if not sure about this).

If you fancy having a go, buy a single variety then buy/scrounge a scion of another variety or two and have a go at grafting them yourself. Good sense of achievement when it works. If your grafts don't take you still have the bulk of the tree for that season and try again the next year. Alternatively you could buy the rootstock you want and graft the variety/ies you want onto it.

"Patio" trees are a good idea if you have limited space but again you will require at least two of each (apples, pears etc) unless they are self pollinators. I have yet to see a columnar tree that produces fruit anything like the advertising pictures. Growing in pots can work but need vigilance with watering and feeding, easy to lose an expensive tree if overlooked. I don't like fruit trees in pots having had poor results, much better in the open ground. If space is at a premium consider cordons or espaliers, again it is better to grow these yourself from 'maidens', firstly for the achievement and secondly the garden centres will strip your pockets for them.

No need to move into greenhouses for apples and pears, stone fruit could produce an earlier crop in the greenhouse but you will need to hand pollinate.

I would also look at other sources, I have used gb-online http://www.gb-online.co.uk/prestashop/ and they have been very helpful. They do ship internationally but ask you to contact them directly for shipping costs. They probably carry a larger range than you would get at a local garden centre, though most of their stock is bare rooted so a bit late for this season, gives you plenty of time to remove the old tree. You can also select the rootstock you want.

easyonthebrain

Re: More about fruit trees...
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:58 »
I bought a couple of trees with duo types of fruit on them from here. There was no p&p at the time and seemed reasonable to me for what I was buying. Not usually my buying place but was flicking channels one day and saw them. The bare root arrived well wrapped and packaged and both looked very good all planted and buds appearing now so fingers crossed http://www.idealworld.tv/Garden/Plants+-and-+Flowers/Fruit+-and-+Veg?icn=h_tn04_c_fruit_and_veg&ici=h_tn04_c

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar

Page created in 1.004 seconds with 37 queries.