Weed clearing for wild flower area

• 3 Replies

ambodach

Weed clearing for wild flower area
« on: April 06, 2016, 22:50 »
Because of a bit of a drainage problem, the new owner of the field next to my garden (rural situation near Edinburgh) has dug a drain and fenced on the far side of it.  The result is a 30m x 4m strip of isolated and abandoned ground which runs to a serious weed problem each summer - nettles, thistles and cleavers.

I had an opportunity to speak to the guy recently and he is quite happy if I take it in hand and wild flower it.  Can someone give me some advise as to where to start on this.  My thinking at the moment is to broad leaf weed kill to allow field grass to establish and to scatter sow over that - will that work?  Also where can I get larger quantities of wild flower seed?   I have a medium size cultivator but wouldn't be able to get it in without removing a fence.

Thanks for any help.
Rob

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Re: Weed clearing for wild flower area
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 08:50 »
Google emmorsgate seeds for wild flower meadow, they do large quantities many different mixes as well. They also explain how to sow such a meadow. Soil needs to be poor. Grasses will prevent wild flowers from growing each year. I have sown a mixed meadow on a butterfly conservation area I have developed, this had perennial grasses and perennial flowers. Also less hassle to keep it together, just mowing or strimming once a year, need to collects trimmings after letting seed fall as they enrich the ground and for all these areas the soil needs to be of poor quality. Hope this helps.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Trikidiki

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 09:00 »
Sounds like you have wild flowers already, nettles, thistles and cleavers   ;)

I would spray off everything as the coarse grasses will out-compete a lot of your wild flower, mind any run off into the water course. You need to balance the work involved in removing your fence with the work involved in rotovating. However I wouldn't rotovate if there are serious perennial weeds. Time for some exercise  :)

Choose a mix containing yellow-rattle which will help keep the grass at bay. Internet search for bulk seed merchants, garden centres are way too expensive.
This year you could be growing some of the wild flowers (perennials) you want as plug plants so you can get a head start when the land is ready.

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 06:14 »
Weed killer the ground let it all die back, in the mean time have a word with the owner to see if a small gate can go in depends on what sort of fence it is if its wood rails type be a doddle to put one, if its a chain link not worth the hassle,,,
Colin

xx
Wild flower meadow

Started by Beano on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post February 16, 2012, 21:02
by Trillium
question
wild flower advice

Started by Loopyjump on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 26, 2013, 14:26
by Beetroot queen
xx
Wild flower lawn.

Started by Rocinante on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 24, 2018, 08:39
by Rocinante
question
Low Maintenance Wild Flower Garden

Started by Matt31 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 21:40
by Living in Hope

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 37 queries.