Confused

• 20 Replies

oakridge

Confused
« on: April 03, 2016, 09:34 »
I have some old carpet which is on top of the compost heap, however I am advised that it gives off nasty chemicals but Mick from Cannock on Youtube uses loads of them.

I have access to large sheets of cardboard which I use as a mulch and very successful it has been, however, someone said that it leached Nitrogen.  The vegetable area was a stock tunnel so I do get lots of nettles which would suggest that there is a reasonable Nitrogen content.

There doesn't seem to be many worms in the soil.  The land is quite acid, when ADAS checked the soil in 1985 when we came here the we had a Ph of 4.5 and there is a bracken problem.  Working the land does tend to lower acidity but I have not checked it for some time.

BabbyAnn

Re: Confused
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:07 »
I have access to large sheets of cardboard which I use as a mulch and very successful it has been, however, someone said that it leached Nitrogen

robs nitrogen from the soil while microbes break it down but eventually they die and some of it goes back into the soil.

I have some old carpet which is on top of the compost heap, however I am advised that it gives off nasty chemicals but Mick from Cannock on Youtube uses loads of them

a debate that goes on and on ... I use old carpet and the worms are thriving.  I think the arguement might be the synthetic material used in the manufacture of the carpet as it breaks down rather than all carpets are bad

There doesn't seem to be many worms in the soil.

I find they thrive after I've dug loads of compost/manure in a bed (especially after digging in soiled coop bedding/leaves and then leaving it undisturbed - I don't have a rotavator nor use a spade much and prefer a fork to turn over)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:54 »
Worms don't like acidic soil, so perhaps you need to add some garden lime. The site's advice on lime might help
http://www.allotment-garden.org/compost-fertiliser/garden-lime.php

I have used carpet on my paths in the past- but wouldn't use them where I'm growing stuff, whereas I do use cardboard as a weed suppressant on the beds with no problem  :)

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 13:28 »
Thank you both for your replies and the reference to the article.  We certainly have buttercup, don't know if it's creeping, nettles and docks.  Might we call mare's tail 'sticky buds'?  We have never actually seen sorrel, but as a I say bracken is a problem.  I have never had any evidence of clubroot, but that may just be good luck.  Since I have been using cardboard the quality of the tilth has improved and the weeds have reduced.  I gradually scrape the cardboard across the beds so there is very little left by the end of the season so hopefully the Nitrogen goes back into the soil.

There was another question I was supposed to ask you but I forgot it half way up the stairs so to speak.

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 17:25 »
I have remembered what I had forgotten.

Water.  I do no have a mains supply readily available but I do have a surface water spring which stops running in the Summer.  I can store about 400 gallons in closed containers.  On the YouTube channels there is emphasis on always using tapwater instead of rainwater in the greenhouse, so do you thing my spring water should be safe enough?

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 17:35 »
I'm surprised that anyone would favour tapwater over spring water or rainwater. Tapwater is treated with chemicals making it less suitable in my opinion to use on something i intend to eat. I envy you your spring. What volume do you have?
 I have a well and pleased that i do. No mains water to the potager, and none needed nor wanted, although if that was my only source i might relent a little.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

oakridge

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 17:48 »
Good.  Thank you that is what I thought, although the YouTubers didn't include spring water.  The spring runs through the Winter, say from November to May.  I can easily fill a 350 Ltr tank during daylight hours.

We have just returned from a stay with friends just North of Anger, very peaceful.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 18:36 »
  ......Might we call mare's tail 'sticky buds'?  ......

I think by 'sticky buds' you are referring to Cleavers (Galium aparine) as opposed to Mares Tail (Equisetum arvense).

Pictures from Wiki Commons:
Cleavers By AnRo0002 - Own work, CC0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=27103067
Mares Tail By MPF - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7583695

Cleavers.jpg
Mares Tail.jpg

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 18:41 »
Regarding using tap water for seeds. I think the idea is that tap water isn't going to have any fungal spores that could cause problems to seeds or seedlings. My view is you are sticking the seeds in what is most probably composted green material, that will be a huge reservoir of fungal spores anyway so can't see using water from a spring or water butt is going to make much difference.

oakridge

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 19:37 »
Thank you Trikidiki.  Mrs B - SWMBO - had just put me straight on sticky buds.  Hugo, the Flatcoat is an absolute magnet for them.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 21:05 »
Have been using carpet on my heap for the last few years. As regards tap water I doubt you will find a garden centre that doesn't sell water butts.  The only place we use tap water in our garden is the 'feathered egg layers' drinking water.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

oakridge

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 21:18 »
A water supply was laid on to the site in 1985 as we were about to move here which was essential for the livestock, but it is jolly expensive so we just pay the standing charge in case it is needed in future.  What I can store pretty well sees me through the Summer. Supply isn't the problem, storage is.

The carpets and carpets I shall continue to use.  In fact I shall just carry on in my own sweet way.  If it hasn't killed me by now it never will.  My family were firm believers in the Yorkshire saying: 'It teks a parnd a muck afore tha dees'.   The spell checker didn't like that at all.

Salmo

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 00:03 »
.  My family were firm believers in the Yorkshire saying: 'It teks a parnd a muck afore tha dees'. 

Another local saying " You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can't tell him much"  :D :D :D

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 09:06 »
The reason you should not use old carpet for mulch is that very few carpets are 100%wool  most contain plastic in the form of small hairs or fibers These shatter in sunlight and with frosts putting millions of small micro plastic splinters into the soil . These potentialy could enter the food chain and nobody knows what effect this could have on health . There is a big problem with this happening with sea life
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

oakridge

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 09:23 »
Oh, there are lots of sayings about Yorkshire folks, none of them true of course.

If thas gunna do owt for anyone do it for thisen.
A Yorkshireman is a Scotsman stripped of his generosity.
Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.
etc.

I've reached 73 and I'm not dead yet and I work to the farmers creed - farm as if you are going to live forever, but leave a gate as if you are never going to pass that way again.

xx
I'm confused ....

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post October 06, 2012, 22:26
by snowdrops
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium
xx
I'am confused

Started by hiccup on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 22:24
by gavinjconway
xx
Confused

Started by sparky on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 18:02
by fletch

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 39 queries.