Garlic mosaic virus ?

• 14 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Garlic mosaic virus ?
« on: April 01, 2016, 15:39 »
An allotment neighbour thinks my garlic has mosaic virus (leaves going yellow and brown)  I couldn't find out much about it ... is it fatal, can it spread to my onions in the next row, anything I can do please ?

Many thanks Roger

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic mosaic virus ?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 16:30 »
I'd never heard of it, but there are pictures of it on Google images, so you can see for yourself.
This pdf
"Potyvirus Leek Yellow Stripe Virus - Purdue University" (I cant do a link to it, just do a search for it)

Doesn't list it for this country, so would think it would be very rare, if it is here. It says it effects leeks and garlic - not onions.

could your onions be like mine? with tops which are brown and crispy and looking as if they need a good feed after all the rains  ::) I keep forgetting to take the feed with me when I go to the plot  ::)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 16:31 by mumofstig »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 16:53 »
Yes, I'd try a decent feed of chicken manure pellets, plus some Epsom salts tickled into the soil. This last will strengthen the cell walls of the planta against diseases. I find it very helpful
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2016, 16:54 »
A further description would help, or better still a pic (could be garlic rust but it's very early in the season for that to be a problem.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2016, 20:12 »
As ever thanks everyone. I scattered some chicken pellets a few weeks ago and will take a pic' tomorrow and post it.

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 11:26 »
Here are a couple of pics, the onions are on the left garlic on the right ...
_1000511.jpg
P1000512.jpg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 11:54 »
Think you could get more than one opinion here, partly because there is more than one allium pest around these days unfortunately.

Garlic leaf could just be old and damaged and starting to die off - it's usually quite easy to spot the orange pustules of garlic rust on the leaf surface but I can't see any in your pic.

Although it's a bit early in the year, the twisted leaves of the onions may well be a sign they have been attacked by either the allium leaf miner or leek moth - my shallots suffered similar damage last year but just about managed to grow through it and recover with a bit of TLC.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 16:38 »
I think I would pick off the damaged leaves as they are not really functioning very well anyway, and see how things go, (plus of course my fave Sulphate of Potash aka Epsom Salts of course ☺☺ )

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 18:44 »
Looking at the garlic leaf it looks like it has drooped to the soil surface and some big fat juicy worm has pulled the tip down into the soil, it has rotted under the surface and the rot has spread up the leaf a bit. I get it all the time, I wouldn't worry about it.

Salmo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 10:09 »
I think I would pick off the damaged leaves as they are not really functioning very well anyway, and see how things go, (plus of course my fave Sulphate of Potash aka Epsom Salts of course ☺☺ )

Epson salts is magnesium sulphate.

These garlic look quite normal to me for this time of year, A few warm days and they will soon produce new leaves. My advice is to do nothing to your plants and accept that your neighbour is a bit too clever.

Snoop

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 16:12 »
These garlic look quite normal to me for this time of year, A few warm days and they will soon produce new leaves. My advice is to do nothing to your plants and accept that your neighbour is a bit too clever.

Seconded.

Trikidiki

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 20:57 »
......(plus of course my fave Sulphate of Potash aka Epsom Salts of course ☺☺ )

I think Epsom Salts is Magnesium Sulphate not Sulphate of Potash.

Edit: Sorry didn't see Salmo's reply.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 20:58 by Trikidiki »

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 07:28 »
Thanks as ever chaps ... this is such a good site, I hope that Salmo and noop have got it right, probably have, I'll let you know.

As an additional comment on the stunning world of the internet, I came across another site where there's an enthusiastic garlic grower in the US;

http://barbolian.com/?s=garlic&x=0&y=0

I posted a comment about my garlic dilemma and here's his stunningly detailed response, it might help any others that come across this garlic thread:

Hi Roger – I see you are in the UK – our climate conditions are very similar. It is hard to tell anything definitive from the pictures, but I noticed a couple of things: 1) the main damage on the garlic seems to be in the outer leaves – and those are the first to come up and take the brunt of the stress of winter and early spring storms, temperature fluctuations, etc. They often look a little scraggly. No big deal. 2) Very important: the newer growth in the center leaves looks pretty good. They are green, standing tall, and the yellow tips on those are nothing to worry about (in my opinion). 3) Your onion plants on the left look a little beat up! There are some broken stems and signs of stress, which tells me their neighbors (the garlic) probably also endured similar situations – in which case, I’d say your garlic weathered through pretty well!

What to do: Watch for more changes in the coloring, such as yellowing that extends down the plant in streaks or blotches, especially in the center leaves. For now, I think your best defense is to take proactive measures to strengthen the plant. Now is a good time to apply a little nitrogen. The more strong green leaves it grows now, the more energy it has for producing bulbs later. Personally, I do not use Epsom salts (although I know many people are fans), mainly because of the research and writings of Dr. Linda Chalker-Scott. I would recommend compost, perhaps a little blood meal, or the chicken pellets you refer to, which sound good. In May, I stop the nitrogen and switch to applications of fish fertilizer and liquid seaweed. You could cut off your bottom leaves without harming the plant. As one reader put it, “they are not really functioning very well anyway.” It might be an area where molds could develop or bugs hang out. That said, I can’t say that I have been very good at cleaning everything up.

It is sometimes hard to tell what is disease, soil imbalance, fungal issues, or critters – so if you find there are increasing problems down the road, you can always do an early harvest of select plants (you might want to remove a bit of soil around the plant and clean your tools afterwards). One year, I was hit really hard with rust. The bulbs had already had a chance to form, so it did not affect my harvest too much, but I later found out I could have cut off the diseased leaves and reduced the spread.

Here is another blogpost where I addressed yellow tips on garlic.

Good luck, Roger – hope this has been of some help – and thanks for stopping in to my site. Loved the Allotment Garden site! What a resource – and a great way to share experience!

Snoop

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 08:24 »
Brilliant response there, Roger. It's amazing how willing people are to share information on the Web. There's hope for humankind yet!

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 08:28 »
I couldn't agree more Snoop ... with today's 'offshore' tax avoidance news it's nice to see that some people are willing to 'share' without requiring 'bung' !

clip
Have I got mosaic virus?

Started by Carolinela on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2017, 08:58
by Carolinela
xx
Mosaic Virus?

Started by John Wilkinson on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 20:36
by gobs
xx
Courgette with Mosaic Virus?

Started by seb85 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 15:19
by seb85
xx
Is this cucumber mosaic virus?

Started by ryetek on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 17:59
by ryetek

Page created in 0.487 seconds with 38 queries.