RASPBERRIES/LEEKS

• 6 Replies

Debz and Jon

RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« on: October 11, 2006, 15:26 »
Our raspberries have almost finished, we had loads and they were lovely but what do we do now.  Should we cut the canes right down to the bottom or just leave them (will they wither off and die).  This is our second try with leeks, but as last year the white part is very short or small (not sure if this is right terminology and probably sound really dim).  Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated  :D

muntjac

RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 18:56 »
masses of old manure  this winter dug deep.in a trench sow seed in a deep 10 inch pot with seed compost mixed with potting compost and plant when pencil sized use the blade of your spade down deep to make the hole,water in dont tramp them down .keep watered and use old grass trimmings for mulch .feed 3 mths after they have been growing with a 50/50 mix of sulphate of ammonia and sulphate of potast 2 of the little blue scoops you get from washing powder or one egg cup full in a gallon of water stir well water each plant should be enough for 10 leeks i used a pot noodle tub to water with upto the crinkly bit on the pot . gardeners huh .can never measure nowt right  :wink: .earth up later in the season to the first leaf leave till first frosts hit before cropping uin my book  regs karl
still alive /............

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 10:44 »
Yep, lop the raspberries canes all the way down.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 12:14 »
This is the first year for my raspberries but I have noticed that 2 of the new canes are developing new flower buds, surely these won’t grow into fruit at this time of the year. Should I cut off these buds or let them develop? Can anyone advise?
Paul

muntjac

RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2006, 13:12 »
knock em down when they died back in my book as all the goodness is sent back to the root stocks ( how would you like ya head chopped off when ya greowing still ):cry:

oleanders

RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 18:48 »
you have to use the tube from an empty kitchen roll and plant the leek in it .it forces the growth to the top and hey presto a long white leek.

James

• Experienced Member
RASPBERRIES/LEEKS
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 16:19 »
Don't faff with the kitchen roll for your leeks unless growing for a competition.

Just do as muntjac says - except I use a dibber (sharpened old broom handle) to make the hole for the leek - about 6 inches deep, and water the leek in and leave it loosely.

xx
First Raspberries

Started by growmore on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 13:59
by mum of 3
xx
Raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 25, 2024, 09:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Raspberries

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 17:27
by tode
xx
Raspberries

Started by bendipa on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 19:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.384 seconds with 36 queries.