Problem with seedling transplanting

• 5 Replies

squarebush

Problem with seedling transplanting
« on: March 24, 2016, 19:54 »
Hi
I hope you can help with the timing of potting on seedlings when i germinate them from seeds  in a heated propagator. Have tried growing on tomatoes and outdoor cucumbers having grown them in the propagator until they are two true leave large, and then transplanted into small pots putting them onto the windowsill.Do you think the transistion is too extreme our farm house is not the warmest or is it maybe i should let the plants mature a little more before moving. Any help would be appreciated
                   thanks  Squarebush

Headgardener22

Re: Problem with seedling transplanting
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 20:03 »
The issue (if there is one) is whether the draft from the windowsill is too much at night when the temperature drops. On the windowsill, I tend to put a cover over my seedlings at night and leave them exposed during the day.

I also grown them in an unheated greenhouse, but when the temperature is forecast to fall well below 10C at night its time for them to come inside. So it then comes down to how many seedlings you've got and how much space you've got.

A couple of years ago I grew 1000+ tomato seedlings. I grew them in plugs (54 plants to a tray) and moved them in and out of my garage every night and morning. I grew then to 3 inches tall in the plugs by which time the greenhouse wasn't going (much) below 10C overnight and they survived and did well

jezza

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 20:59 »
hi try bubble insulation between the window and plants for a few days till the plants have got over the shock of being transplanted e used to do 260.000 plants under bubble protection and never lost one   No we did.nt have large window sills just very large heated benches 6 feet by 130 feet    jezza

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 19:37 »
I plant the baby plants into deep transparent plastic cups, with just two inches of coir/vermiculite/compost mix in the bottom. The sides of the cup keep the draughts off a bit.

I add more compost mix as they grow, and the extra roots the plants grow from the stems seems to benefit them in the long run. They do need some weak feed though as there is not much nutrition in the compost mix.

It seems worth the little bit of extra effort imho
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

oldgrunge

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 21:25 »
What is the problem with your seedlings?
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 13:34 »
I didn't think the seedlings needed to be in the propagator so long, surely once they come through the soil they can go somewhere that is light and at normal room temperature?

question
Seedling problem

Started by dbeech on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 11:18
by mumofstig
xx
Transplanting?

Started by Patrick on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 16, 2007, 21:47
by muntjac
xx
transplanting at last.

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:52
by agapanthus
xx
Transplanting?

Started by jonewer on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 12:01
by Kristen

Page created in 1.495 seconds with 37 queries.