Blueberry pollination

• 4 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

Blueberry pollination
« on: March 07, 2016, 19:38 »
I was given a blueberry bush last year. That I'm sure said self pollinator. It flowered well but didn't get a single fruit. Maybe I was wrong and it needs another plant to accompany it ! Could it be that because it was potted up and its first year was responsible ? If not if and I need another bush to x pollinate. Does it matter if they are a different variety. As I have lost the label.

Thanks

BB

Trikidiki

Re: Blueberry pollination
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 20:48 »
You will need a different variety to pollinate it if it is not self-fertile to maximise your crop.

It will also need to be a variety that flowers at the same time, I would wait until yours is in flower and then visit a nursery or garden centre and find another that is in flower at that time in your area.

I bought a new bush this week, called Bluedrop. It is semi-evergreen and 'everbearing' so should flower throughout the season so might be a good pollinator for you.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 21:00 by Trikidiki »

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 13:43 »
I only have one bush and i get enouh to top a cheesecake , i have moved mine this year to a better position hoping for more this year itwas just twiggy when i first got it so it may not old enough but it looks happy , i also have a black currant that lokking better now its in the ground not a pot.
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Trikidiki

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 21:01 »
They will self pollinate but will produce a larger crop and apparently larger berries if cross-pollinated.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 19:45 »
send an e mail to trehane nurseries with your variety and they will advice you on what variety would be the best pollinator for you.

i can also vouch for the quality plants, i've only had mine a year and every bush has produced lots of fruit and new growth.

xx
pear pollination

Started by billybullock on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2009, 10:14
by cathangirl
xx
courgette pollination

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 14:54
by ghost61
xx
tomato pollination?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 13:43
by Brassica Blaz
xx
genetics of self-pollination

Started by SidReal on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 09:38
by SidReal

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 36 queries.