fig tree and who to order from?

• 20 Replies

3759allen

fig tree and who to order from?
« on: February 15, 2016, 16:54 »
after a recent post about needing to order a single tree, it looks like i'm going to have to pay delivery so now looking to get more for my money and wondering if fig tree's are a viable addition?

i may be able to find a space, maybe two in the poly tunnel. i could also have one space outside (full sun).

are figs viable in this country (i'm in norfolk so not that cold)? will they do much better under cover rather than outside?

how big do they grow, i guess depends how you prune them. they will be direct in the ground, not in containers? what is the spread of roots going to be like? what are the training options?

also any recommendations of where to buy from (online) who also sell other fruit so i can order a pear tree at the same time?

sorry for all the questions. i know i could google it but find it more reliable asking you guys in the real world than some one in commercial growing or just reading from a text book.

thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 16:55 by 3759allen »

ptarmigan

Re: fig tree and who to order from?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 16:57 »
I'm in the North West and my fig tree, in a container and v sheltered spot that gets quite a lot of sun gives me a harvest in a good summer (not last summer!).  Some fully grown fig trees up the road from me in quite a sheltered garden also do well. 

They do better when the roots are contained, so either lining the planting hole with slabs or putting them in a container.  Definitely worth a try though and quite easy to take cuttings from I believe.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 16:57 »
Mine is Brown Turkey, pretty sure I bought it B&Q!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 17:09 »
I bought my Brown Turkey fig tree as a small rooted cutting from ebay  :)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 17:21 »
I replied to your other thread and mentioned reads nursery in Bungay. They do loads of figs some suitable outside some need protection. However you can also buy cuttings off them at a fiver a time rather than £15+ for plants.

Hope this helps

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 19:32 »
I replied to your other thread and mentioned reads nursery in Bungay. They do loads of figs some suitable outside some need protection. However you can also buy cuttings off them at a fiver a time rather than £15+ for plants.

Hope this helps

Crikey, anyone want to buy my 'prunings'?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 19:50 »
^^^How many different varieties of fig do you have?  ;) If you have anything other than brown turkey please let me know  :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 22:45 »
Sorry I only have Brown Turkey. My wife butchered that last summer so there should be hundreds of 'water shoots' soon.

3759allen

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 14:49 »
i will be travelling past Maidstone next week, not sure if it'll be during business hours, but will pop in if i can.

other wise i'll have  trawl through the internet if i get time.

brown turkey seems to be a favourite fig. is this because it's the best option for our country or just it's the readiest available?

cheers

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 19:53 »
Does no one on your site have a tree you could get cuttings from?

They grow really well outside on our site. Some straight in the ground, others constrained. They aren't Brown Turkey though - most of them came from Luigi's green fig. No idea what it is, it's been there for years.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 19:59 »
Brown Turkey is the most readily available because it's proven to be hardy in our climate.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 19:29 »
In with my garden magazine this month I've received a catalogue from Pomona fruits, they have 5 varieties of fig- brown turkey,Brunswick,Doree,Madeline De Deux Saisons & Rouge De Brunswick. They have pears as well as lots of other fruits. I've no idea what the company is like as I have never bought from them,but maybe someone on here has.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 12:43 »
Just ordered a 3ft Brown Turkey fig off EBay for £12 + £6 P&P. I'll post a picture of what it looks like next week. There were 1-2ft figs for £15, but I thought the extra £3 was worth it for a bigger plant. Neighbour has just built a large extension with a 12ft wall at the boundary, but luckily it's south facing, so I'll build a raised brick container and then train it against the wall. This should give it the best chance up here in the north west.

Should I leave the base of the container open, as wall space isn't an issue?

Nobbie

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 14:36 »
Well, you live and learn ::) This is what was half shoved through my letterbox this morning, bent in half with some newspaper and plastic wrap around it.

Not really a 3ft plant is it? more like a rooted branch that has just been cut of the main tree. The pictured showed a plant in a pot, so I'll be contacting the seller to resolve. The good thing about EBay is they generally side with the buyer in cases like this.

The seller advised me to plant it outside when I got it, but I recon it will just rot if I do that. Maybe potting up and giving it a bit of TLC indoors is worth a go?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 14:37 by Nobbie »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 15:57 »
Personally I'd send the photo through and sort out a refund.

If you do decide to try and get it going, and it takes, they are fast growers. This is what mine looked like in June, 3 months after being a 30cm twig, and then again at the end of August, so at 6 months.
fig twig.jpg
fig not twig.jpg

xx
Tall order in short order

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 13:49
by digalotty
xx
Order placed

Started by PAH48 on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post November 08, 2008, 20:59
by Bombers
xx
Got my seed order done

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 00:29
by Paul Plots
xx
Potatoe Order

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2014, 16:12
by wil4025

Page created in 0.821 seconds with 38 queries.