A huge garden with lots of shade.

• 3 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
A huge garden with lots of shade.
« on: February 04, 2016, 21:44 »
Hi guys I hope you can help me.

I have a huge garden but it seems the majority of it is in the shade either my house casts a shadow or the woodland at the bottom does. The back garden is also quite damp and it seems that Mr Mole has moved in, with him and the creeping buttercup I fear it may be a loosing battle but it is one I am going to try and fight anyway!

The previous tenant had lots of red current and white current bushes in the back garden that I have found I don't use so I am removing them also the layout of them made the rear garden uninviting. I want to be able to become self sufficient in fruit and veg so my question is what can grow in the back garden? My top garden gets more sun but is the one I use most as it gets the last of the days light so I want to try and keep as much of it as I can for entertaining and generally enjoying.

Am I asking too much? I fear I may be :-(

Many thanks.

AnneB

Re: A huge garden with lots of shade.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 23:08 »
Generally, vegetables don't grow in the shade, they need sun to do well.  In my experience, the things that do well in shade are salad crops such as lettuce, spinach, chicory, plus redcurrants, rhubarb, sorrel, and possibly peas and pak choi. Outside of those, no success.  The previous tenant grew things that suited the conditions.

solway cropper

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 23:16 »
If you want to be completely self-sufficient you'll need a lot of space. Problem with your situation is that most fruit and veg require as much sunlight as they can get. Wild garlic (ramsons) will grow happily in quite heavy shade and rasps and gooseberries will tolerate a certain amount. With most veg they just won't produce the yields you want if there is too much shade but you will get something. Just try and plant shade tolerant types where the shade is heaviest and forget about things like tomatoes and peppers unless you can guarantee sunlight for most of the day.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 00:16 »
Thanks guys I have a greenhouse that is in the prime location at the side of the house for all day sun so toms and peppers will be in there. I am hoping to grow potatoes in my small front garden that get's a good amount of sun. I don't need much to grow as it's just me so I am hoping the small veg patch next to the greenhouse will be enough as it seems my back garden is sadly a waste. Oh well hopefully I can re arrange it all and use it more to entertain it's just such a shame there is 60ft of unusable garden :-(

Yes the previous tenant probably did grow for the conditions but I would rather have lawn than fruit/veg I am not going to eat. Time to look into what plants will cheer it up abit in the back :-)

xx
My garden 2007 (warning lots of pics) and a huge thankyou.

Started by Little Miss Muffet on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 15, 2007, 20:17
by Babycat
xx
I'm asking about the best irrigation system for a Huge Vegetable Garden

Started by Ruyboy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 08:16
by corndolly
xx
Our Garden. Lots of photos.

Started by Patricia on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 28, 2009, 09:56
by Howard
xx
Lots and lots of tomato side-shoots...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 21:04
by Pescador

Page created in 0.395 seconds with 28 queries.