Locinera Nitidia

• 4 Replies

moose

• Experienced Member
Locinera Nitidia
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:50 »
I have a couple of these which fill in a gap in a fence quite nicely and I'd like to propagate some more. When is the best time to take cuttings? Any other advice on the procedure welcome.

Goosegirl

Re: Locinera Nitidia
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:20 »
I'm going to have a punt that they are like box where you gently down-tear off a young twig so as to get a "heel" cutting. This is a stem that has a little bit of the bark from the branch it was taken from, then you put it into a pot with compost so about a third is buried. Sometimes a hormone-rooting compound helps it to start producing roots. Another way might be to take a pliable stem close to the ground then gently make a little nick just into the bark on the underside. Make a small dint into the soil with a trowel then push it in and secure it with a stone or something so it doesn't come out. This is called layer-cutting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 13:29 »
RHS advice for taking cuttings from Lonicera nitida are here

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=404

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 17:02 »
Hello. I have a hedge of this and quite often I've found bits that I've clipped off with the shears and not collected have rooted where they landed. I've dug them up and replanted them in any gaps. So you shouldn't have any problems.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 19:41 »
Thanks for the replies, looks like I have a few choices so I should be successful.

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 37 queries.