Late sown spring cabbage

• 6 Replies

harrymac

Late sown spring cabbage
« on: January 24, 2016, 21:49 »
I'm just about to transplant my spring cabbage seedlings and it made me wonder if anyone else sows their spring cabbage seeds as late as I do.

A year and a bit ago I was too busy & too late to get the seeds sown at the usual time of the year (late summer), and thought I'd missed the boat. Then, last January I thought there was no harm in trying an early sowing at home and growing them on in the polytunnel at the allotment. By mid-February they were planted in the polytunnel. It didn't take them long to get going, and by April we had our first spring greens.

In the open garden spring cabbages have to be covered, otherwise the flying rats (aka wood pigeons) get them. This isn't a problem in the polytunnel. However, a few years ago I tried planting spring cabbage at the usual time (September-ish) in the polytunnel and most of them them went to seed the following spring.

For me, a January sowing / February in the polytunnel is the way to go from now on.

Eblana

Re: Late sown spring cabbage
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 21:51 »
I always sow brassica's for the PT the third weekend on the year and I get a nice crop before the toms go into the PT.

harrymac

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 21:58 »
I always sow brassica's for the PT the third weekend on the year and I get a nice crop before the toms go into the PT.
Yes, that's what I did with the space after the cabbages finished - tomatoes and cucumbers.

Good to know I'm not mad :)

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:46 »
Have you tried sowing the conventional fast maturing Spring sown varieties such as Hispi or Primo to see how they compare?

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 09:34 »
Have you tried sowing the conventional fast maturing Spring sown varieties such as Hispi or Primo to see how they compare?

Thanks for the reminder, I stopped bothering with over wintered cabbage as Greyhound or Hispi sown now in the unheated greenhouse seemed to be ready almost as early.

harrymac

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 19:52 »
I normally grow one or both of those varieties, but from February/March sowings. They're timed to be ready by the time the spring cabbages are finished.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:14 »
I sowed mine at the usual time but they have done little for the last 2 or 3 months. In fact some have got smaller lately as something was eating them. A few have disappeared. Sowing now looks like a good idea with the mild weather.

xx
Too late to sow spring cabbage?

Started by plum crumble on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 21:46
by Paul Plots
xx
Spring Cabbage & Caulis, too late?

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 30, 2011, 11:54
by kosh42|EFG
xx
Too late for planting out spring cabbage?

Started by animalsvegetables on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 01, 2010, 00:40
by Paul Plots
xx
Spring sown garlic

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 08:50
by amckeen

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 28 queries.