What I did on the plot today 2016

• 533 Replies

Robster

Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2016, 18:21 »
I double dug the border soil of my greenhouse incorporated a lot of well rotted manure and planted out San Marzano and Super Mamande tomatoes and a couple of Q's.  Potted on PSB, Kale and celeriac.  Sowed a couple of courgettes

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2016, 19:03 »
Serbie100,Good luck with the apple tree, sounds like a big job.

I've been making some seed tapes too, quite therapeutic.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 19:06 by boddy »
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

lettice

« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2016, 09:28 »
Just lovely weather yesterday for gardening.
Hoed over the broad bean plot and got three rows in.
In greenhouse, sowed some Golden Bantam sweetcorn, such a great crop last year from that variety.
Had to give the garden and especially the early potatoes a good watering, as no rain since last Wednesday.
Sowed outside, beetroot (Chioggia, Boltardy, Crosby Egyptian, Golden Detroit, Burpees Golden, Albina, Cylindra  ), mixed radish, Chantenay red carrots, Purple top milan turnip and broccoli
Prepared the Brussels sprout beds and made a new mini fence, supports and covers for them.
Gave the potato plot another nemotode dessing and lightly dug in a load of compost.
Prepared the runner bean areas, ready for the last dressing of kitchen veg waste before the plants go in mid may.
Sowed a load of last years saved marigold in pots around the plot.

grendel

Re: Re: What I did on the plot today 2016
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2016, 15:18 »
Got down to the plot yesterday, quite a lot of damage from the winds last weekend, one shed totally collapsed, another complete, but on its roof, the only damage I had was 1 compost bin gone - nowhere to be seen on the site.
Still managed to give the plot a once over with the rotovator, Then managed to plant up all my potatoes, then it started raining.
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2016, 17:17 »
Serbie100,Good luck with the apple tree, sounds like a big job.

Thanks - it took just over an hour to do. Fingers crossed it won't die on me now. Planted up in a big bag with plenty of bonemeal for root development and a handful of growmore mixed in at the bottom. I can't stake the tree properly, so it's tied to my munty frame for some protection.

Next up, shifting the shed.

Njlongden72

« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2016, 19:46 »
Planted a row of Sharpes Express

Robster

« Reply #171 on: April 03, 2016, 23:10 »
Planted out some Feltham First peas.  Planted some strawberry plants in an old wheelbarrow.  I'll have a crop off them and use the runners this year to replace the allotment plants in the autumn.  Planted out purple milan top turnips, lettuce and raddichio.  Sowed some golden beetroot and radish.

scenic

• Scenic blogspot
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2016, 09:13 »
Finished digging and covering the new middle section with some of my own produced compact.  Very nice stuff it is too.   Sowed a row of rainbow and boltardy mixed beetroot seeds, a row of red spring onions and my single line of brand beans.   Back at home sowed some mixed courgettes and and patty pan,  sweetcorn and some late toms.  Nothing beats the site of seeds trays covering the window cills does it?   

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2016, 19:09 »
Sowed seeds today: cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, fennel and mixed lettuces. This is my first attempt folks, so I'm unduly excited.

oakridge

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2016, 19:49 »
Sowed D.F. Beans, C.F. Beans and Runner Beans.  Started to spread compost on the row where the onion sets are to be planted out.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #175 on: April 05, 2016, 20:25 »
Finished big potato bed after work and got the first earlies in. Planned out growing spaces for the year and watered some seeds in the polytunnel. Shallots also gone in. 😊

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #176 on: April 05, 2016, 20:33 »
got the metal work up for the polytunnel with the help of me dad...many profanities were whispered, shouted and hissed... going back tomorrow to do the door frames, I expect many profanities will be whispered, shouted and...erm, you know the rest
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Eblana

« Reply #177 on: April 05, 2016, 20:49 »
Spent an hour at the plot this pm.  Got the broad beans planted out.  Got the potatoes in the PT weeded and earthed up.

oakridge

« Reply #178 on: April 05, 2016, 21:08 »
I think I forgot to mention that I planted out shallots and sowed basil.  Today I sowed broccoli, more P.S. Broccoli, and fennel.  Also continued preparing planting strips.  Strips are easier for me rather than beds.  Christine came and weeded the overwintering onions because I had tried and pulled a couple up, bad idea.  She also made a list of the fruit trees that my retired farmer friend had bought and then realised that he didn't have 350acres any more but an old folks bungalow, so they came to me.  Here's a list:

Pear Conference, Pear Concorde, Apple Gravenstein, Apple Superb, Plum Yellow Pershore, Plum?, Damson?, Damson Shropshire Prune
Plum Victoria?, Damson?, Plum?, Greengage?, Plum?
??, Apple Guilevic, Apple Vilberie, Apple Harry Mater's Jersey, Crab Apple John Downie, Apple Dabinett
7 Gooseberry bushes - serious risk of finding lots of babies methinks.

Lots of these we have never heard of so any advice would be gratefully received.

They are all bursting into life.  The middle row, apart from the Victoria Plum are all 3 years old, all the rest are last years saplings.

Jackypam

« Reply #179 on: April 07, 2016, 11:59 »
Sowed seeds today: cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, fennel and mixed lettuces. This is my first attempt folks, so I'm unduly excited.
Don't expect it to wear off, I get unduly excited about sowing seeds every year!  And this year I'm extra excited because I have a new (well new to me) greenhouse coming next week!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

59 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 20:33
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 37 queries.