what's your 2016 dream?

• 30 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
what's your 2016 dream?
« on: January 05, 2016, 15:22 »
I'm pursuing seed lists and making some plans and so far its all going to be perfect.  Of course reality will hit at some point, but for now, I can dream  :D

I've convinced myself I am going to crack successional planting this year, so I have a huge long season of choice from the plot, greenhouse and raised beds at home.  There will be no gaps, no gluts and I will be in smug mode all year.

You can all laugh later when I am bemoaning my fate in my diary  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: what's your 2016 dream?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 15:35 »
I would like some 'average' weather, no really hot spells, no 'too cold for the time of year' spells - then I will see what I CAN grow successfully.

At the moment the weather keeps showing me what I can't grow........

I'm sure if the weather behaved most of my plans would work. Dream on!  :lol:

madcat

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 16:50 »
I want to get a tidy house with paint in all the right places - so a warm (not cracking hot) but dry summer please!  I can cope with the watering to be able to get on with things, windows and doors open and ....  salads outside.  Ahhh  Dream on.   ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 18:14 »
I'd like it to stop raining and let the ground dry out for March before I start dreaming. We've got a few plots under water on one site up here and most of the rest are bogs.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 18:15 »
I'd like to have both of my plots finished thankyouplease! Probably won't happen, but I can dream...Or there is finding an affordable smallholding within commuting distance of London & Exeter. (proper pipe dream that!)

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 23:09 »
Onion white rot, leek moth and turnip beetle have been eradicated in the UK....

al78

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 23:09 »
Not to get hit by a car as in 2015, and end up spending most of the summer in hospital, then coming back to a massively overgrown allotment that takes me the whole of autumn to get back to a usable state.

I hope that we don't have another cool spring so I can get things started promptly and am not waiting and waiting for my heavy clay soil to warm up. I hope that the slugs give me a break at least occasionally. I hope that I can make up for my misfortune last year by having a highly productive allotment, with enough veg to give away to friends and family. I would also like the Oka to grow properly this year. I've tried two years running; the first time I tried it didn't come up at all, last year it did come up but got swamped by weeds, and whilst it produced some small bushy growth there were no tubers to be found apart from a few pea sized ones after the top growth had been killed by a couple of significant frosts near the end of November (I did leave it a couple of weeks after the growth had died down).

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 09:12 »
It would be nice if it stopped raining for a few days !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 10:04 »
Both plots fully productive, enough space to store gluts, masses of flowers for cutting, a decluttered house and attic,  clean fresh paint on the walls at home and no seedlings languishing in the greenhouse with no space to plant them out.

Oh, and did I mention a polytunnel on the new plot?

Sow now I have committed it to print it does seem a tad ambitious.... we shall see 😃
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 11:05 »
Both plots fully productive, enough space to store gluts, masses of flowers for cutting, a decluttered house and attic,  clean fresh paint on the walls at home and no seedlings languishing in the greenhouse with no space to plant them out.

Oh, and did I mention a polytunnel on the new plot?

Sow now I have committed it to print it does seem a tad ambitious.... we shall see 😃
I think you need a miracle Sunny :)

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 11:27 »
Recieve a pile of menure and compost. make many clearplastic hoops for aubs and chillis, make a garlic and onion pereneal patchs.

get enough softfruit for my 2y old who  says 'more' to ask for them when he approach the plot. and get him one checken at home (worried about neighbours cat)

all back garden is filled with a carpet of colorful flowers( me lazyest of lazy to sow and grow flower seeds ..so none yet)

found a house on market with 3/4 green houses.. now I convinced OH to not go for building a new garage at the current one . but can I ever convince him to get 2 green houses in that place  ???   :tongue2:  ::)

Aled

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2016, 13:47 »
I'm buying a new larger plastic growing house thingy, hope to get more tomatoes and cucumbers.
Cheers
Aled

mum51965

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 19:24 »
I'd like a little wooden grow house that I can screw to my shed so it won't blow away. Then maybe I can raise seeds and a couple of tomato plants?? Would love to get the allotment cleared by April.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 20:28 »
No blackfly, slugs or woodlice, pigeons (or foxes digging/pooing).

Spiders could added to that list if possible please as well (only for delving-in-shed purposes)

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 09:14 »
Hope you have a better growing year than 2015, al78. Hope you're fully recovered.

As for me, no devastating weather events would be good but I've come to the conclusion they're a given here. Probably be drought this year!

Anyway, something I have a bit more control over: this year's dream is to buy a small rotovator I can handle. The budget might actually stretch to it!

xx
i had a dream........

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 09:18
by richyrich7
xx
My first pumpkin örange dream´?

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 20:10
by Yorkie
xx
Peas...Sow by 2016

Started by Yorkshire Lass on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2017, 19:45
by oldgrunge
xx
2016 Compost

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 16:02
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.