Jasmin

• 6 Replies

pepsi100

Jasmin
« on: January 02, 2016, 09:58 »
I have 3 Jasmine plants in my garden, they have now turned in to bushes, and have got really big now, I use them to cover my fencing, but now I want to trim them back while they are sort of dormant

So how would I do it ?

Just hack em back or there a proper way of doing it

I would like them to get bushier (might even give birds a chance to nest in them)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Jasmin
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 10:42 »
Summer flowering true jasmine (rather than winter jasmine or star jasmine) grows like a weed, so will take hacking back.  It is usually so thick with stems it is difficult to prune it any other way.

Take the front off and hack back until you get the width of plant you want.  By that stage, quite a lot of the top growth will have come off with what you have already cut.  You can then see what further top growth you want to remove.

I remember helping a friend who had just moved into a terrace house.  She had Jasmine all over her narrow back garden that she thought had escaped off her fence.  Turned out the plant was in the next door but one garden and it rapidly turned into a work party with her neighbours.  Everyone got their gardens back and rooted plants next to fences if they wanted them  :lol:

pepsi100

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 11:35 »
Mine was sort of tied to the fence, then it got bigger and pulled away from the fence

Mine is a summer flowering one, all the leaves fall off in the winter, but it hasn't happened this year, I think its too warm, its growing, but not flowering or any buds

Do I cut it back to sort of ground level, leaving the big strong branches and just cut back the green stuff ?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 11:41 »
If you cut out the weedy growth down to ground level, it will put all the energy into the main branches and they should sprout a lot of new growth.  For a dense bushy plant for birds to nest in, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

If the main branches are thick enough to support the weight of the plant, it not being tied to the fence shouldn't be a problem.  Just watch it doesn't come out too far, making the plant top heavy, as it could go over eventually  :)

pepsi100

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 11:47 »
 :)   Ah, that is the problem, it was top heavy, broke the twine holding it back

3 tame (ish)  squirrels hide in there, before they come out and pinch the peanuts

The chicken keep the bottom part clear, so the stronger looking branches are weed and leave free

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:11 »
If you put up some vine eyes and wire on the fence at a couple of levels, you can tuck the new growth behind the wire as it grows. An annual clip over the front will help keep it under control higher up.

It is an excellent plant imho and well worth rejuvenating  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:41 »
There isn't anything wrong with it, just getting too big

I used twine just to hold it back, but it just got top heavy and broke the twine

In the summer its a mass of white flowers, they don't last long though

When the frost and snow get to it, the leaves all fall off (the chickens like rooting around for bugs there)

Maybe if it dries up long enough I can get out and trip it and it might stop growing (al this rain is making it grow even more

xx
Help with jasmin

Started by Dopey113 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 19:14
by mumofstig
xx
Jasmin

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 23:42
by pepsi100
xx
Scentless Jasmin

Started by Lardman on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2014, 21:02
by Lardman
xx
Jasmin plant

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post November 28, 2010, 13:54
by pepsi100

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 37 queries.