Weeding Over wintering crops

• 9 Replies

syks grower

Weeding Over wintering crops
« on: December 22, 2015, 22:27 »
With the mild weather I am still having to weed my over wintering onions and brassicas.
I have just finished hand weeding the beds for the fourth time.
Areas of plot that I managed to complete the  winter digging are becoming covered with weed seedlings.
I normally leave the beds uncovered until February before covering but looks like I will have to cover now.
Is everyone else having the same problems.

mrsbean

Re: Weeding Over wintering crops
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 23:44 »
we have not done anything for weeks, there has not been a day without rain and the wind is galeforce gusts at times. Going to have to get down tomorrow or thursday for sprouts and leeks. luck has it i brought my wellies home the last time i was down as the shed is on the far end of plot.

ptarmigan

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 07:30 »
Like the above poster I've hardly been up at allotment for 2 months, gales, floods and rain and a ft job.  Ran up between showers to get shed roof refelted and need to go up and pick Christmas sprouts... No windows for weeding!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 09:58 »
luckily we've not had it so bad but it's still very soggy on the plot.  On Sunday when I was finally planting out the last of the garlic, I was pleasantly surprised to find not many weeds coming up in the beds, but I did notice that the neighbour's grass was in need of a serious mow

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 16:16 »
Last Sunday I strimmed the grass and weeds on my new plot and covered it with a tarp to try and kill off the grass and weeds.

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 21:13 »
On Christmas Eve I went to the plot to get some leeks for our Christmas dinner and was very surprised about the level of weed growth at the plot. Will have to book a day at he plot to recover,  :mellow:

Mum2mj

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 08:16 »
I was weeding amongst the bumblebees...  :nowink:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 09:32 »
We have also had to weed amongst the Autumn planted onions, shallots and garlic, as well as tidying the brassicas, as there fallen leaves get disgusting.

The empty beds are covered with black plastic, well weighted down, which stops the ground from getting completely sodden and warms it a little earlier for Sowing sowing too. Weed seeds being blown about are kept off, and any that germinate grow weak and pale and are easy to remove when the covers come off.

Just the long fruit bed left to weed... under those gooseberry bushes is no fun at all!  ::)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stewarty

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51 »
Lots of weeding to do here in Oxford, but, although we've really been rather lucky with not very much rain, and the wind often feeling like a drying wind, it's still too soggy to walk on. But, how will we fill the 'hungry gap' ?  -  the purple sprouting broccoli which we rely on in March / April is already showing large-ish purple heads!

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 19:31 »
Just the long fruit bed left to weed... under those gooseberry bushes is no fun at all!  ::)

I grow my gooseberries as fans, trained on wires, makes picking a doddle with no scratched hands. The first branches are about 6 inches off the ground which makes weeding beneath really easy.

I planted a few spare garlic cloves along the beds three years ago, planning to just snip the leaves to use green but never got round to using them. I left them in and they have resprouted the last two years. The great thing is that since I planted the garlic under the gooseberries I have not had any gooseberry sawfly which I have suffered from in previous years.

xx
over wintering veg

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 18:31
by Grubbypaws
xx
Over-wintering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2011, 21:17
by mumofstig
xx
Wintering over?

Started by Lula on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 06, 2009, 14:34
by noshed
xx
Over wintering onions

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2020, 18:35
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 36 queries.