New Allotment what can i do!

• 35 Replies

Snoop

Re: New Allotment what can i do!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33 »
Axe, do you think he/you would be open to sharing the plot? He might be able to manage half or less and you could get going on what's left, with a view to taking it all on at some point. A south-facing sunny plot is not to be sniffed at.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2015, 23:20 »
Well, the bad news is i have been let down with my allotment (i tried plot sharing once before and it didnt work)   :wub: :blush: :wub:

BUT!, the good news is they have another coming free this weekend which i can have!, its not ideal and needs ALOT more work done to it, but it is also south facing, and there is a high hedge on the west side overlooking acres of grassland, its hidden deep in the allotments so getting in and out is not going to be easy, so theres a few bad points to it, i doubt my parents could visit due to their old knees, and this is on a grassy slope  :(

but i shall get some pictures uploaded as i visit on saturday (i might sneak up tomorrow and get a photo to show the extend of the dumping ground, they have to clear it by the weekend apparently)

It looks hard and flat ground so its in need of a good turnover and frost to break it all down.

i shall be back, with updates!

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 15:04 »
heres the bomsite ive been offered, high fences :(

[/URL]

cadalot

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 15:43 »
Is that a greenhouse and a concrete path I spy?

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 20:51 »
To the left is a dilapidated chicken coup, there was a greenhouse at the far end but that has been taken by the old tennant, all that fencing/doors/windows are the tennent behinds fortress Walls!

There is flagstones all over and the trees are overgrown, once I get in on the weekend I'll make some videos of me tidying it up if people are interested?

cadalot

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 20:58 »
We are always interested and creating a diary and comments page on here is a great way to document your progress and get feedback.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2015, 10:23 »
And paving stones are always really useful.

Snoop

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2015, 10:51 »
The site evidently lets you keep chickens. That's a boon. And as you can tell from previous comments, a paved path is a good thing to have.

In some ways an allotment like this is good because you can bend it to your will rather than be influenced by the previous plot tenant's beds.

I hope it proves possible for your parents to visit. Looks like a nice spot for afternoon tea or a picnic when the weather's half decent.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 15:14 »
yeah the ground seems totally weed free and as hard as concrete, so i'm assuming the previous tenant housed solely chickens! (and children by the piles of toys), the only thing i see growing is a few weeds round the outskirts and an apple tree in the center, i go up to get the keys at 9am tomorrow and more pictures will follow!

it has been paved round the outside which i will keep, and as it has a lawnmower, i shall make a central grass path, its on an incline so flooding should not be an issue fingers crossed.

Snoop

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 15:53 »
Have you had a chance to talk to your plot neighbours? They might be able to give you some insights/advice.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 19:07 »
I spoke to the gent beside me who said it used to flourish with crops, but now it's a wreck and ruin, so here's hoping the grounds still full of nutrients !

Snoop

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2015, 10:54 »
Nutrients can always be added. Sounds like all it needs is a bit of TLC and then it'll do you proud. Congratulations.

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2015, 16:03 »
Well...i have it!!, however as i will show you, today hasnt panned out how i liked.

this is taken one minute after signing for the plot at 10am, so everything you see is also the frst time ive seen

8q8qpXRqLJg
And then by 2pm....This.....

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2015, 16:04 »
Clearly i angered the allotment gods in a previous life...

ill go make an allotment diary from this point onwards!

But i'll still post here if people like :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 16:06 by Axe »

Axe

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2015, 17:58 »
Now the next big question, to rotavate or not, weed wise it seems ok, however it is December, so I'm in two minds whether to just do a quick turnover once the snow melts, and let the winter break it down? Any suggestions?

xx
Just got an allotment!

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2009, 13:38
by Val H
xx
Help with my first allotment!

Started by andy2017 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 07, 2017, 18:27
by Thrutchington
xx
Allotment help!!

Started by Tattieman69 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 19:32
by Chrysalis
clip
New allotment

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 11, 2015, 18:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.499 seconds with 37 queries.