potatos in greenhouse

• 4 Replies

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
potatos in greenhouse
« on: January 19, 2008, 19:13 »
Anyone thinking of putting a few earlies in a container in the greenhouse yet.
Or am i being to hasty.
Bought a bag of rocket tubers today and they've got chits starting so i wondered about trying a few, maybe in a black plastic bag and keep topping the compost up as they, hopefully come through.
Suppose it depends on the weather over the next couple of months.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

WG.

potatos in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 19:16 »
Something I've never thought to try, to be honest.  I don't see why not although it would put pressure on greenhouse space at the busiest time of year.

Sally A

potatos in greenhouse
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 19:18 »
Ooh, glad you mention this, I'm not going to do it, but I recall an older thread of someone describing an old chap that grows spuds in growbags or binliners in the greenhouse on the second shelf down of his staging, and just fumbles about and pulls of the potatoes he needs for a meal.  I was hoping to find this as it would be helpful in the wysywiggy thread.

Perhaps a better "searcher" can recall more and find it.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
potatos in greenhouse
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 19:21 »
Tried this for Christmas a couple of years back, although I did get some it was all haulm, I reckon it was down to the lack of light they didnt really produce, but as the light is in theory at least increasing day by day you might do better, just becarefull of frosts, even in the greenhouse a couple of frost at night and it will kill them off.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Nikkithefoot

potatos in greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 20:55 »
I grew Charlotte in my greenhouse last year. Put 4 seed spuds in a bag, and kept topping up with soil until full. Once flowered reasonable crop of new potatoes (two meals for a family of 5). I seem to recall I started them in the bags in Feb, after chitting, and harvested May ish. Only problem was watering, must be done daily once they start getting top growth after the bag is filled with soil. In fact they did better than the ones I grew in bags outside!! Am going to do the same this year. If frost threatens I wrap the bag in bubble wrap with a fleece outer and throw fleece over, as the greenhouse is unheated.

Nikki
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2012, 17:29
by shokkyy
xx
Potatos

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 09, 2008, 20:48
by iwantanallotment
xx
potatos

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 15:11
by harry
xx
potatos

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 12:35
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.402 seconds with 27 queries.