sweet potatoes and wire worms

• 2 Replies

3759allen

sweet potatoes and wire worms
« on: November 01, 2015, 17:50 »
just harvested my sweet potatoes, quite a reasonable quantity. i think i will plant them closer together next year, they seem to only produce tubers where the main plant was and not where the runners had rooted, probably not enough time in hot conditions.

any way my problem with the tubers that i have harvested is an infestation of wire worm, some of the tubers have been pretty much ruined by the little blighter's. annoying as this year i managed to get a decent crop after having poor results last year (first year growing them)

i was planning to mulch with either fresh or rotted rabbit manure, but i'm concerned this will give the wire worms something to feed on. should i mulch or just weed thoroughly and cover over winter.

i had wire worm problems in my first year (about 3 years ago) potato crop, they seem to have got less (almost completely gone) as i've kept on top of the weeding. i haven't got to lift my main crop yet (hoping to do it during the week) so can't say if they have been effected this year .

is there anything that i can do to try get rid of the little critters for next year

Twitch

Re: sweet potatoes and wire worms
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 18:03 »
I had a wire worm problem this year, and was told next year just as plants flower put half a cut potato a few inchs down to draw the worms up to them, then check every now and then and change the spud when it has the little beggers in them.
 :unsure:

3759allen

Re: sweet potatoes and wire worms
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 21:00 »
i do remember someone saying this before but i was a bit worried that it would encourage them to the area. in my potato patch i tried to starve them by removing grass and weeds that they feed on, this seemed to work out side.

i may try the potato idea over winter to see if i can get rid of them before next year.

xx
wire worms

Started by ralph on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 21:43
by sunshineband
xx
Wire Worms ?

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 04, 2009, 15:59
by paintedlady
xx
Wire Worms

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 01, 2008, 19:33
by Lee G
xx
Potatoes - wire worm damage

Started by RichG on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 20:01
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.93 seconds with 36 queries.