Plants & chickens

• 20 Replies

Beekissed

Re: Plants & chickens
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 23:15 »
Most use hardware wire/cloth, which is just a sturdy, small gauge wire fencing...some folks call it rabbit wire due to folks using that kind of wire to make rabbit cages.  Chicken wire is too flimsy, of course. 

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 10:39 »
The wire that Beekissed has used looks like what we would call over here weldmesh which comes in different guages and hole sizes. It is much sturdier than chicken wire. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2015, 07:38 »
I don't use the grow frames as my chickens free range all the time, but I know folks who do and they love them.  They grow just about anything they want in those frames, different kinds of grasses, clover, beets, kale, spinach, winter wheat, oats, corn, etc. 

I have weldmesh, will give it a go.  Bit late to plant stuff (or will be by the time I've managed to build them).  But, could plant early spring with a plastic cover to get stuff growing.  Some interesting suggestions to try.

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10 »
I will show those to my daughter but I think she would have to make a movable one as there is not room in the pen to cordon an area off. Perhaps a bread tray or 2 would be good to get them started
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 16:12 »
I don't use the grow frames as my chickens free range all the time, but I know folks who do and they love them.  They grow just about anything they want in those frames, different kinds of grasses, clover, beets, kale, spinach, winter wheat, oats, corn, etc. 

I have weldmesh, will give it a go.  Bit late to plant stuff (or will be by the time I've managed to build them).  But, could plant early spring with a plastic cover to get stuff growing.  Some interesting suggestions to try.

Winter wheat and white dutch clover will germinate well in the colder weather, so if you have access to either they both make for great winter feed. 

Beekissed

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 16:16 »
I will show those to my daughter but I think she would have to make a movable one as there is not room in the pen to cordon an area off. Perhaps a bread tray or 2 would be good to get them started

You don't really need to cordon it off, as the frames keep the chickens from disturbing the grass until it gets tall enough to poke through the wire.  Until then the chickens can walk all over those frames without any harm to the bird or the seedlings. 

Another neat idea for those with little space is to have a vertical greens garden grown in a pallet, though one would have to cover the pallet with deer netting to keep the chickens from pulling the greens right out of the soil when plucking them. 

question
Plants chickens WON'T eat

Started by trish25158 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 21:35
by Bev
xx
Plants for chickens

Started by sarahab on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 13:03
by Sassy
xx
Plants and chickens

Started by lou-b-lou on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 12:24
by lou-b-lou
xx
what plants are chickens not able to eat

Started by craig1981 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 13:15
by cathangirl

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 38 queries.