Moving autumn fruiting raspberry canes

• 8 Replies

Suziet8

Moving autumn fruiting raspberry canes
« on: October 11, 2015, 08:01 »
I need to move some autumn fruiting raspberry canes. Can I cut them back once they have finished fruiting and move them straightaway or is there a better time of the year to do this?  Thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Moving autumn fruiting raspberry canes
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 08:10 »
It is a tiny bit early to move them, but it depends where you are. 

I'm moving some of mine this year, but where I am in the south east, mine are still in full leaf.  I was going to wait another couple of weeks at least, until they have dropped their leaves and shut down for the winter  :)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43 »
Crikey - this is a timely post. I was about to ask the same question.
Mine's a bit different though, in that my allotment neighbour is giving up his plot and has offered me his autumn raspberries. Difficult to tell how many - looks like two clumps.
We're in Somerset and these raspberries are green and bushy. I know it's too early - but these have to come out very soon. Is there anything I can do to ease the transition?
Also - could I split a clump when I get them up?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:47 by LottyLouis »
Carpe Diem

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 13:55 »
It's certainly not the ideal time to move them - but, if you really must ......................... then do it.

Id move them, but not prune them 'til later - in case a warm Autumn makes them start into new growth before Winter hits. Split any large clumps up and keep all well watered.

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 14:12 »
Thanks mum - dreadful timing, I know - but he's giving it up almost immediately - then they won't be his to gift!   Soppy question time now. When would you cut them back? It's to ground level, isn't it, for Autumn Rasps? Also - the safest way to split a clump? ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 14:27 »
I usually cut mine back, to a couple of inches, anytime between winter festival time  ::) and beg March, before they start to sprout again  :lol:

Basically whenever the weather, or family stuff, let me get there to do it............

When you've lifted a clump you'll be able to see which bits have their own roots so you can cut those bits off, to make new plants.

In a couple of years each newly planted piece will be another clump :)

Suziet8

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 22:42 »
Thanks all

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:29 »
You could just take them from your neighbour, and heel them is somewhere, Suzie. You don't need to prune them either!

We gave away loads to various plotholders when we dug our rasps out, and sometimes they were hanging around for ages on various plots, but all came true after a season!

lettice

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 15:37 »
I bought two raspberries plants from the 99p store back in early spring and put them in their own 10inch containers. Just for fun really. The variety is Malling Promise.
They have both been providing bowlfuls of lovely raspberries since July and just picked a large bowl today.
The red stems, about three on each plant that are producing the fruit are all about 5 foot tall.
Now thinking for next year to transplant them into the ground against a fence and trail.

Looks like advice from above, I should wait till early spring to transplant then and prune them then, not when the fruit is finished as many of the books seem to say.

xx
Moving summer fruiting raspberry canes

Started by kittiwake on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 29, 2009, 17:37
by kittiwake
xx
Autumn fruiting Raspberry - which mulch to use?

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 20:09
by totalnovice
xx
Moving Raspberry canes now...!!!!!

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 00:33
by Gandan57
xx
moving raspberry canes

Started by lottiegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 17:18
by lottiegirl

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 38 queries.