Rotting pumpkins - any idea why?

• 5 Replies

Stewarty

Rotting pumpkins - any idea why?
« on: October 08, 2015, 23:28 »

I've always grown lots of pumpkins (I have several plots so use them as a kind of groundcover for unused space), but this year for the first time I've had big problems with them rotting away. For instance, in my main patch there were about 8 quite reasonably sized orange or yellow pumpkins in late August, but when I came to harvest them last week as the foliage was dying down all I found were 8 patches of yellow slime.
Has this been happening to anybody else this year? Anybody have any explanation? - for example, wet weather, cool weather, pests....?
Or should I just have been more attentive, and brought them in earlier....?

Stewart

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Rotting pumpkins - any idea why?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:26 »
You haven't put a location in your profile, so I can't judge your local weather  :wacko: but, have you had a lot of rain recently before they could make hard ripe skins?  Or have you had an early frost?

Some of mine were eaten at the bottom by slugs, as I hadn't lifted them off the wet soil - this allows all the other beasties/and or rot to get in  :(

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 10:54 »
Is the plot or garden secure? Could they have been deliberately trodden on by teenagers for a lark since you last saw them?

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:03 »

Some of mine were eaten at the bottom by slugs, as I hadn't lifted them off the wet soil - this allows all the other beasties/and or rot to get in  :(

I'd say that was a strong possibility, or maybe you had an overnight frost?  Normally a light frost will do no harm to fruits (especially if the foliage can protect them) and if they are mature with hard skins but, if the skins were still soft some damage could just start it all off.

Stewarty

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 23:20 »
I'm in Oxford, and, although we've had lots of chilly nights we haven't had a frost yet  -  threatened in the next few days, I think. It's a secure site, if that can be said about any allotment site, so I don't think it was vandals.

Probably a combination of pest damage, and me not lifting them up off the damp soil......

Thanks for the responses    -    Stewart

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 15:01 »
About half of my squashes have rotted in the stalk, with slugs nestled inside them  >:(
I have cut the stalks off to prevent the rot spreading, but I was worried about rot getting in through the exposed bit so I have sealed them with candle wax. I have no idea whether that was sensible or not, so I'm just going to have to keep a close eye on them and use them up quick if they start showing signs of rot around the top.
Rachael

xx
Pumpkins, pumpkins and more squahses

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 10:32
by WG.
xx
pumpkins pumkins and more pumpkins

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 25, 2019, 23:30
by Flowertot
xx
Rotting Hay

Started by Solitaire on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 19:08
by woodburner
xx
help, what's rotting my toms??

Started by Brewers on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 21:42
by gobs

Page created in 1.079 seconds with 30 queries.