power cut - incubators! UPDATE -I've heard a cheep!

• 13 Replies

Helenaj

power cut - incubators! UPDATE -I've heard a cheep!
« on: October 07, 2015, 16:00 »
Hi, I have two incubators on the go, one due to hatch on Thursday the other due to hatch next week. I've got home today and at some point my electric has gone off and both incubators were down to about 17C. Where does this leave me now-will my chicks due this week hatch or will all of them have died. Absolutely gutted.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 12:38 by Helenaj »

Sassy

Re: power cut - incubators!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 08:28 »
As they are well on and developed they may be ok but it all depends on how long electric was off for  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 09:55 »
I wouldn't give up on them straight away. Fingers crossed they are all strong'uns and they will hatch  :) (however be prepared  :( )

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 13:05 »
Hope they will be okay.  If the power wasn't off for long, it may have taken quite a while for the temps to get that low, so don't give up on them yet!

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 16:18 »
The electric was off for a good couple of hours - I don't know how long because I was in work, but when I put the incubators back on the temperature was only 17C. I'm most concerned about the one to hatch next week because they are only two thirds into their development. The ones for hatch tomorrow I'm not so concerned about because they should be fully developed, but I realise that they may have come a cropper as well. I'm so annoyed and upset - all of them were fertile - and they had come through the post!  >:(

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 16:31 »
Don't get upset yet. I have had birds hatch despite power cuts, incubators conking out and broodies that decide half way through that they are not broody. Nature (and human intervention) is a funny thing there is still a chance just be prepared thats all.  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 18:08 »
Thanks for the reassurance - much appreciated!

However, I've looked at one of the eggs due to hatch next week and it looks as though it has leaked a little fluid - there are 2 small pin head sized blooming spots on the egg. The fluid is dry and looks crystal like and I suppose that it has happened due to the incubator warming back up too quickly. I don't know what to do with it. keep it or throw it.

I think that a moderator has amended my post and changed the spot to blooming. I meant blooming as in full of blood and not a swear word - honestly!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 18:26 by Helenaj »

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 18:20 »
I would personally throw it. I have never known leaky fluid to be a good thing and I think if left it may become a bit odour-ous and affect the others. Hopefully someone else can give their thoughts and feelings on it just to be sure.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2015, 08:00 »
I think that a moderator has amended my post and changed the spot to blooming. I meant blooming as in full of blood and not a swear word - honestly!

That is one of the words that automatically changes Helenaj.  I'm sure no-one thought you were swearing, but some words are set up to change to milder versions, just to make less work for the mods  :)

I hope the eggs are OK. I've never hatched any, but Norfolkgrey's thoughts on the leaking one seem sensible to me.  It poses a risk and it is a risk you can easily eradicate  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 19:22 »
I threw the leaking one, I just couldn't risk it. Well it is hatch day today for the first batch that I put in and so far nothing. I'm just hoping I'll have some luck. I'm dreading the second hatch next week in the other incubator.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Helenaj

Re: power cut - incubators! I've heard a cheep!
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 12:38 »
Walking past the incubators just now and we heard a cheep. My other half is now busy cheeping back in the hope that we didn't imagine it.

Fingers crossed! :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: power cut - incubators! UPDATE -I've heard a cheep!
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 13:01 »
Oooohhh good news so far Helena!  Hope hubby's cheeping works!  lol  Once one hatches and keeps cheeping, it may also encourage any others.

Fingers crossed, that however many chicks you get, they are nice and healthy! XXXXX

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 13:15 »
Yay, my fingers are crossed for you :)

Helenaj

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 14:08 »
Not heard anything since but am positive we didn't imagine it. I'll keep you updated.

Thanks for all of your reassurances - they have been really appreciated!

xx
Cheep Cheep - Updated with more photos for the chick fanclub

Started by snozzer on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 09:24
by babe
xx
Cheep-cheep to puck-puerk?

Started by matthew2riches on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2009, 12:35
by Vember
xx
Brooding on the 'Cheep'

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 22:48
by GrannieAnnie
xx
look very cheep chicken run!!

Started by chickychick on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 27, 2007, 22:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 38 queries.