Hen with broken claw.

• 5 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Hen with broken claw.
« on: October 04, 2015, 14:16 »
My ex-batt has been chased by a dog.  She appears to have broken a claw during the escapade.  It is hanging half off and bleeding, and appears to be very painful.  I have sprayed it with purple spray.

What do I need to do?  Do I cut it of myself?  I am happy to take her to the vet if that is safer.  I will be grateful for any advice.  Poor chook is only 3 weeks out of the battery farm and she has gone through this.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hen with broken claw.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 18:09 »
I would cut it and have some cornstarch handy to stem the blood, if it starts bleeding again.  They recover very fast from this sort of thing, but catching the claw constantly will make her wince. 

If you think she has lost a lot of blood, its worthing keeping an eye on her for a few days.  Their combs and faces go pale if this is the case and feeding some extra protein can help  :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 18:41 »
Thank you.  It looks like it'll cut of reasonably easily (if I can keep her foot still). I wasn't sure how much it would bleed.  Do I dip her foot in the cornstarch?  Is it possible it will bleed too much?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 20:19 »
It should not bleed too much as it is only a single small blood vessel down the centre of the claw.  Put the corn starch in a little bowl and dip the end of the claw in if it does bleed.  It will help stop the flow and let the vessel seal.  Just watch the hen doesn't then get interested in eating it.

If you sit down and have the hen on your lap, you can turn her on her side with the legs coming through your fingers and your thumb on her wing.  Just be as sure and certain as you can and get it done.  She should stay still for a few seconds at least, but if you dither she will start to look at ways to escape.

The claws are very tough, so wire snips work well.  Failing that, a short bladed but strong pair of scissors will do.  Once it is all over, she will shrug it off and be back to normal in no time.  I have had them immediately start scratching again, only to look quizzically at their foot.  You can see them think 'oh yeah, that claw is sore'.  They forget that fast  :)

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 13:16 »
Thank you New Shoot for the spot on advice.  She now appears sorted  :D.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 16:56 »
All part of the service m'dear   :)

I'm glad to hear your hen is OK now  :)

question
A broken or dislocated claw

Started by La Porterie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 20:30
by IMOmimey
xx
Lost a claw?

Started by theclampitts on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 21:41
by theclampitts
exclamation
Hen claw injury

Started by Katiecat on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 12:01
by danfinn1
xx
Bleeding by the claw

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 10:42
by Elaine J

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 38 queries.