firestorm runner bean

• 9 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
firestorm runner bean
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:04 »
I think I might give this a try it sounds really productive what is it like for strings. What runner is best for this. My French beans are growing very curly any idea what is causing this. Loads of flowers just wish the weather would stay warm. Thanks

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
Re: firestorm runner bean
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 15:55 »
My Firestorm are picked at about 8 or 10 inch and are string less. I am well pleased with them and will be saving some seed to see how they do next year. I have also got Moonlight and they too are good and no string.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

stevieg

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 17:27 »
I grew two wigwams this year one with lady di from seed saved from last year the other one firestorm, I was disappointed with firestorm had a few nice beans but had lots of short curved beans. Lady di had lots more beans long slender and stringless next year I plan to grow lady di again plus I have some scarlet emperor which I have not grown before.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 19:04 »
My Firestorm are picked at about 8 or 10 inch and are string less. I am well pleased with them and will be saving some seed to see how they do next year. I have also got Moonlight and they too are good and no string.

For the last two years I have had poor germination with Moonlight, which has put me off rather. Those that did grow gave good juicy stringless pods though
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2015, 19:41 »
Moonlight seems to need very little moisture in the compost to germinate, any more than barely moist and they rot :(

I learnt that last year, so this year I was very careful how much water they got - only a little squirt from a drinking bottle, very occasionally.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 18:11 »
Moonlight seems to need very little moisture in the compost to germinate, any more than barely moist and they rot :(

I learnt that last year, so this year I was very careful how much water they got - only a little squirt from a drinking bottle, very occasionally.

Now you say that, I remember JayG (I think) saying something similar once before. I wish I had remembered it in the Spring, before giving them a good soak ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 19:08 »
Try to remember next year  :lol: shall I remind you?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 12:24 »

Now you say that, I remember JayG (I think) saying something similar once before. I wish I had remembered it in the Spring, before giving them a good soak ::)

Probably did say that, although have had many sleeps since then!   ::) 8)

I have found white runner bean seeds of different varieties more prone to rot off before (or even while) germinating than the purple/black ones - best technique so far is to soak in tepid water for no more than a few hours, then sow into only slightly moist compost, and then water sparingly as Mum has described.

Same goes for pre-chitting - short soak but don't over-wet the kitchen paper in the chitting box.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 13:59 »
.............. and I don't even soak them before sowing  :D

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 15:34 »
I always pre soak peas and beans for a couple of hours before planting in loo roll centers filled with almost dry MPC.

xx
Runner bean Firestorm (with pics)

Started by chrisnchris on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 08:48
by pdblake
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
runner bean

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 22, 2011, 09:51
by Salmo

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 38 queries.