Mini sugar pumpkin

• 12 Replies

gypsy

Mini sugar pumpkin
« on: September 09, 2015, 18:22 »
My mini sugar pumpkins have a skin so hard that I cannot get into them.  :mad: Well maybe I could with an axe.
Has anyone any suggestions what to do with them and why it has happened.
Catherine

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Mini sugar pumpkin
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 20:24 »
Just a thought but - are they grown from self-saved seed? Very easy to cross pollinate with some other gourd or squash leading to who knows what characteristics in the off-spring. 
Even if supplied from a 'reputable' company it could happen that as they are open-pollinated something got 'in the mix'

Do you have a sharp saw to hand?  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 20:53 »
Fresh seed this year, I cannot remember what company is printed on the packet but I have it at the allotment, I may ask them what the problem is.

Ema

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 19:16 »
I find this with most squashes anyway

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 19:32 »
You may not agree, but it's seen as a advantage - tough skins mean long storage for squash and pumpkins  :)

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 10:48 »
You may not agree, but it's seen as a advantage - tough skins mean long storage for squash and pumpkins  :)
They are not worth storing, I really cannot get into them at all. :ohmy:

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 18:08 »
In one of Madhur Jaffrey books, she mentions using an axe to split open squash.

I have been known to drop squash onto a hard (clean) surface to break them open. Mostly, I open them up with a cleaver or heavy knife.

As far as I know, squash and pumpkins are supposed to have hard skins, as mumofstig and Ema say.

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 21:59 »
Never had any this tough before

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2015, 08:14 »
I grew a mini squash one year that was amazingly tough.  I found the easiest way in was a short bladed kitchen knife, but it needs to be a sharp and strong one.  The layer of skin and flesh is quite thin, so a short knife gets through to the centre and is easier to control than a large knife, when you are dealing with small fruits.

If you get the fruit secured in a cloth (to protect your hand), pierce through the skin with the knife tip, then slowly rotate the squash and cut round.  You should find the skin almost cracks open ahead of the blade.

The ones I grew were very sweet.  Probably the sweetest ones I have ever grown.  I just scooped out the seeds and roasted halves in the oven, with some butter, salt and pepper in the cavity.  The whole lot went on the plate and we scooped the flesh out to eat them.   

If you still can't open them, put them in the oven whole on a moderate heat.  I saw Jamie Oliver doing this with a butternut on the TV and tried it myself with a squash.  After an hour or so, the very outer skin flakes off and the rest has just disappeared into the rest of the flesh.  Its a bit more messy getting the seeds out, but if it means you actually get to eat your crop, its worth trying  :)

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 10:12 »
I was thinking of sticking one in the oven whole to see what happened to it. Will give it a go next week.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 14:53 »
I had to try it as I had just assumed they would explode if put in whole, but long steady baking works just fine  :)

It will be interesting to hear how they taste.  With a name like Mini Sugar, they sound like a really sweet one as well.  I wonder of it is just a characteristic of the very sweet mini fruited varieties, to have such rock hard skins  :unsure:

gypsy

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2015, 10:18 »
It Worked  :D
I put one pumpkin a bit smaller than a football into the oven 180c for 1/2 hr. While it was cooking it smelled of vanilla. I took it out and wrapped it in a tea towel to keep the steam in and hopefully soften the skin. When it was cool the skin was crisp but not too hard and I was easily able to cut it. The flesh had shrunk away from the skin and came out without any arguments. It is a bit dry so maybe I will cook the rest of the crop for about 20min and see what happens.
Not sure what I am going to do with vanilla flavoured, not too sweet pumpkins. It will be ok for all the usual recipes, but has anyone any suggestions please.

I have just mixed some of the flesh with a small jar of plums I found on the shelf left from last yr. I mixed them both together with some custard then topped with crumble and popped into the oven. I am awaiting the outcome.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 12:33 by gypsy »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2015, 11:28 »
Yay  :D

It must be the less dense flesh and bigger pulpy bit in a pumpkin that lets it cook quicker, because my squash took quite a lot longer, but as you say, you can experiment with timings and at least you got past the armour plating to eat it  :D  :D  :D

Vanilla in savoury dishes is quite trendy you know  ;)  :lol:  Pumpkin bread is nice and vanilla flavoured toast would be good with a light flavoured jam.  Or maybe a brownie or cake recipe might be worth a try  :)

xx
Pumpkin vines dying but pumpkin still green.

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 22:07
by rubyrose
xx
sugar beet

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 15, 2008, 21:54
by Salmo
xx
Pea (Sugarsnap) Sugar Ann

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2009, 11:26
by MoreWhisky
xx
sugar snap pea

Started by makedoandmend on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2018, 20:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.895 seconds with 32 queries.