Feeding my plot

• 21 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Feeding my plot
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 11:26 »
Where have the posts from BabbyAnn gone?

It seems that she had deleted them, although they are still present where they've been quoted.......

That's a shame, I wonder why she felt the need to do that, because it's always interesting to have more than one take on a question & of course there is always research from various schools of thought. I think that is what lots of people like about on here that you get lots to think about. But there again some people don't like their views challenged, such a great shame really, no wonder there is so much trouble in the world
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 17:09 »
I think that is what lots of people like about on here that you get lots to think about.

I would include myself in that gang  :)  I like hearing differing viewpoints and it does give you loads to think about.  Does you no harm to question why you do something a certain way, or are convinced that things are just so, when someone else has an entirely different opinion.  I've also lost count of the ideas I have copied after hearing about them on here  :D

Going to get some feeding done, pay a bit more attention over the winter and looking forward to another year!

Sounds like a plan Rincon  :) You say the soil has plenty of worms in it, so it is in pretty good heart.  Adding fertiliser could be the answer, although I would also suggest you build some compost bins.  you can never have too much compost  ;)

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2015, 20:40 »
I love to hear different ideas that how you learn it keep things interseting.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Headgardener22

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 17:46 »
A comment on your garlic.

I thought that one planted garlic in November/December (plant on the shortest day harvest on the longest was what my dad used to say). I think that they need a period of cold to encourage the cloves to form.

Do you know what sort of raspberries you've got? I planted some autumn fruited in spring last year. I thought they were all Polka but I assume I must have two different varieties. The Polka are 4ft tall and heavy with fruit but the others (whatever they are) are stunted with much smaller fruit (I'm thinking of taking them out and moving some of the Polka).

Similarly with the sweetcorn. What variety did you grow and when did you plant them? My Lark are about 4ft tall, I sowed them in pots in April and planted them out in mid-May. My next door neighbour sowed sweetcorn (also Lark) directly in late June. His are only 2ft tall.

Always put as much compost on as you can, its taken me six or seven years to get the soil even half good on my allotment and last year I had no compost to put on some of it and the ground has gone straight back to heavy clay.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 17:52 »

I thought that one planted garlic in November/December (plant on the shortest day harvest on the longest was what my dad used to say). I think that they need a period of cold to encourage the cloves to form.
You can buy garlic for Spring planting, perhaps the suppliers store the bulbs in the cold, before you buy them.

Rincon

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 12:04 »

Do you know what sort of raspberries you've got? I planted some autumn fruited in spring last year. I thought they were all Polka but I assume I must have two different varieties. The Polka are 4ft tall and heavy with fruit but the others (whatever they are) are stunted with much smaller fruit (I'm thinking of taking them out and moving some of the Polka).

Similarly with the sweetcorn. What variety did you grow and when did you plant them? My Lark are about 4ft tall, I sowed them in pots in April and planted them out in mid-May. My next door neighbour sowed sweetcorn (also Lark) directly in late June. His are only 2ft tall.

Always put as much compost on as you can, its taken me six or seven years to get the soil even half good on my allotment and last year I had no compost to put on some of it and the ground has gone straight back to heavy clay.

Ive now tried planting garlic both in the autumn and in the spring, 5 different types and i still get it wrong haha 3 time lucky??

My Raspberries are autumn bliss, i have some canes at home and they are 4-5 ft tall and full of fruit but the allotment they are very poor - going to get some feeding done this year!

As for the sweetcorn, walking around the allotment and talking to some people its just been one of those years as no ones have grown very well, on the whole people are putting it down to the wind. the allotment us quite exposed, i think if im clever in my planing i can plant my corn next year and benefit from my neighbors fruit cage as a wind break. Its got to be worth a try!

thanks!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 15:00 »
Planted Garlic Yesterday as it needs to establish roots before Winter.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
feeding your plot

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 16, 2022, 09:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Feeding my plot

Started by Offwego on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 22:56
by mumofstig
xx
Over Feeding

Started by Dominic on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:22
by Stripey_cat
xx
What veg needs feeding now...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 05:45
by Growster...

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 38 queries.