not laying.

• 8 Replies

Walfre

not laying.
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:48 »
Our girls are 2  & 3 years old. Only one has laid since last September. Have a good sized run (yes really) good quality layers, clean water daily, very small amounts of corn as an occasional treat. Given some green leaves & grass to peck at. Seemed to have stopped laying after we had the red mite. At that point we got rid of the wooden run & replaced with a green plastic type. We totally removed all the floor of the run & replaced with sand. We put Stallosan on run floor weekly. Are any of these things connected with lack of eggs. One girl is laying every day. Where are we going wrong? help please.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: not laying.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 13:40 »
What kind of hens do you have Walfre and how many?  If they are hybrid layers and are 3 years old, that could be it.  Hybrids are bred to lay every day, but egg production drops off in year 2 and can stop completely by year 3.

It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong at all.  Good housing, good feed and not too many treats, plus the set-up is being kept clean.  I assume you worm them regularly, but if not, that would be the only thing to add to your routine  :)

Walfre

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 15:01 »
mainly black rocks. actually stopped laying aged about 1 year old. Will try worming, not been done for a while.

Beekissed

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 17:13 »
This is the time of year mature hens typically start to molt and laying can slow down or stop during that period as well.  If they are recovering from a mite infestation and generating new feathers for the molt, the nutrition they have may be utilized for these functions instead of laying....no amount of increasing nutrition beyond a balanced diet seems to make a hen start laying again or speed up the molt, though lack of proper, balanced nutrition can slow both of these.

The body can only utilize or process so many nutrients before the excess are merely excreted, so increasing supplements beyond a balanced diet seems to have no true effect, though fermenting of the feed can increase available, digestible nutrients in the balanced ration by changing their form into something that can be better utilized on a cellular level and is the only thing I've seen that will speed up feather replacement and getting back to normal lay. 

Hormones change for molt and that is one thing that attributes to decreased laying. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 07:22 »
black rocks usually lay through their first one or two winters (maybe down from 5 a week to just 3) and will lay for a few more years after that but taking winters off, partly owing to a moult but also to the lack of sunshine hours. Have a good search around to see if they are laying anywhere else (I have found eggs in all sorts of places that you wouldn't think a hen could reach) and also see if any other animal (both 2 and 4 legged) could be helping them selves to the eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Walfre

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 15:57 »
Not laying anywhere else, none getting eaten, not been laying for a year now not just over winter. That made them 18months to 2years old when they stopped. One trooper though has kept laying almost daily even through the winter.

Beekissed

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 21:50 »
Sounds like it's time to make soup!   ;)

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 20:15 »
Well mine stopped today. Opened up the coop to a nest box with only sawdust and poo :(. This is the first time we had a blank since they started laying for 15 months ago. They are shedding feathers all over the place but still look good, so I guess they are in their first moult. Sandy does not lay anymore as she was producing soft and no shell, so I am grateful for that, but the other two were giving us a egg every day :D

I would be happy if we get another 15 months out of them before they stop, but having said that, if we don't then we just have three pet hens, to have a laugh at and look after :lol:
rip Sandy, rip Beryl, Henrietta

Know what would be nice in your garden, a few hens lol

danfinn1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 17:42 »
Two nice brown eggs first thing this morning :D. They're just having me at it :wacko:

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
EGG LAYING

Started by David1967 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 21, 2008, 13:55
by Vember

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.