Split Tomatoes

• 17 Replies

Growster...

Re: Split Tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 18:19 »
Worry ye not everyone; as there is a spell of warmer weather somewhere in the UK, and that will tempt these lazy toms to ripen...

Know the feeling, and wish them well!

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 17:45 »
I have been growing Tumbling Tom and Little Sun, Tumbling Ton has worked well for me but Little Sun has yet to ripen and the one that have turned yellow have split.  I too am waiting for the warm spell. 

The split ones I have made into Tomato Chutney as they still taste fabulous.  8)

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 20:31 »
Grew Sungold 3 years on the trot and found them very prone to splitting - no doubt partly my fault although other varieties, including cherry types, have not been a problem.

First time growing Marmande this year - the one in the garden has been very unhappy with its lot and only produced 2 toms, both of which were 'cat-faced', although the ones in the greenhouse have been fine (albeit slow to ripen.)

At few of the Inca plum toms have had slight blossom end rot, which curiously seems to make them ripen quicker - they and any other damaged toms are 'tidied up' and go into the sauces for freezing.

Interesting this, Jay...

We normally expect Sungold to split about now - and they have - quite a lot!

Do you think that it's because they're really a small tom, and therefore susceptible to splitting through uneven waterings (which we invariably do), and that the bigger toms can take the strain better, just because they're bigger?

The toms on The Patch are forcing ahead, and they're in the normal ground and get a watering every now and then.. (bummer - forgot to do that today, other jobs to be done, but it has rained recently...)!

So: split toms = no watering regularly, and I do the same every year, but who cares? Only Mrs Growster, who usually freezes the chaps...

xx
split tomatoes

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 22:56
by shay
xx
Split tomatoes

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 23:07
by noshed
xx
Split tomatoes

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 13:59
by JayG
xx
Split squashes!

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 31, 2016, 22:09
by Chrysalis

Page created in 0.666 seconds with 36 queries.