How are your onions?

• 18 Replies

Nobbie

How are your onions?
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:38 »
Just realised that it's September and I haven't harvested my onions yet. When I was at the plot last week the foliage was still very green and only a few were beginning to fall over. Must be just the poor summer we've had, as I'm sure they were brown and crispy in my shed at this stage last year. How are everybody else's doing?

Seems like I harvested my garlic 2 months ago, so no problem there.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
Re: How are your onions?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 08:49 »
I harvested mine 2 weeks ago and they are drying in one of my greenhouses with the door and roof vent left ajar for airflow.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 08:58 »
Mine are pathetic. Just about the size of golfballs.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 09:09 »
My banana shallots (simiane) are as big as proper onions and have still got fat juicy necks, so I'm not harvesting them just yet.
Anne

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 10:17 »
Harvested mine last weekend to give them a chance to dry before storing.      Strange mix of very large onions and about 6 that were wrotten.     
Do you really need al that lettuce/

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 11:18 »
I harvested mine 2 weeks ago and they're drying in the conservatory. Good haul this year with most around the 1 lb mark. They're all white sturon.

A couple went a bit rotten but it's the best crop I've had so far in 4 years of growing them.

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 11:27 »
mine were rubbish and too many have white rot. think I am going to give up on onions/garlic in the garden as I have this each year and it is almost impossible to get rid of it. :( When I had my allotment I used to get 100s

simonwatson

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 12:11 »
If white rot is the problem, have you tried the garlic water treatment. It's been discussed a few times on the board.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 20:08 »
My sturon are firm enough but I think they stopped growing weeks ago, the tops are hammered from weather with no green leaves left in them. They'll be out of the ground this weekend.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 20:51 »
My Senshyu came out a few weeks ago, shallots out last week and my Ailsa Craig and Kelsae are still in and only just starting to flop.

Nobbie

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2015, 21:26 »
Went upto the plot today and they look no further forward, all still very green and only a few have started to bend over. They seem to have kept growing and are now a very good size, just hope we get some warm dry weather so I can lift and store. I think it's looking good for next week.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 14:03 »
Mine flopped right down a while ago so have been dug up to dry off. Most are in a mesh bag and the rest are nearly ready to go in another.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 15:00 »
A few of the ailsa craig are still upright so I'm leaving it for a while. I have no previous experience to measure from, but the onions look huge to me. *rubs hands in glee*

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2015, 15:19 »
All mine, Sturon and Ailsa Craig were harvested on the last day of July, having flopped and stopped growing by the middle of the month, this may have been due to the lack of rain in this region, however it did not effect the size, on average being cricket ball size. Nearly ready for storing having dried out well.

anchorman

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2015, 22:33 »
I grew Rhumba from sets. Suddenly, around May other plot holders were pulling theirs up due to a mass attack of onion fly. I pulled all 72 up found about 20 with a grub under the skin. I took the rest home and replanted them in the back garden. They picked up and reached about tennis ball size.

I also grew Ailsa Craig from seed, they took about 8 months before dying down. Again, they did not grow big. May was cold and sunshine in Northamtonshire has not been great but I'll go again next year. Onions not great this year but Cauliflowers brilliant. I've no idea why that was so I've come to realise its all down to something up there that gives and takes.

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 37 queries.