diatomous earth

• 4 Replies

westie

• Experienced Member
diatomous earth
« on: January 18, 2008, 19:42 »
I have got a tub of diatomous earth. Does anyone know jow often it needs to be applied to hens that already have lice....I am trying to get rid of the lice as well as preventing their return.

Any advice welcome :)

Trillium

diatomous earth
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 20:29 »
I've never used it on animals, but on plants you apply it whenever it seems to have blown off or after every rain which simply washes it off. I'd expect the hens would need the same application, but perhaps monthly if they're not getting wet at all.  And be sure to keep it out of their eyes when applying.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
diatomous earth
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 20:55 »
Put some in their dust bath.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Foxy

diatomous earth
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 21:19 »
Hi westie,
I would use an old jamjar put some holes in top to fashion a "sprinkler" or use an old talcum powder container. Then ensure you sprinkle the powder and run right down to the base of the feathers - ensuring vulnerable areas like under wings and vent are treated. (these are the areas lice and fleas love on our chickens!)I think one application should be enough - I would check a week later but others may do this differently. The other thing is I generally do this in the morning - to prevent them inhaling the powder in the coop. As well as sprinkling in their dustbath this should sort them out. The next thing is to ensure the coop is treated at the same time although lice and fleas live on the bird you want to make sure that all are destroyed at the same time. This would also be a good preventative against the dreaded red mite which lives in the henhouse. Hope this helps Aunt Sally I expect will be along with the bits Ive missed! :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
diatomous earth
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 21:35 »
I don't think you've missed anything Foxy  :D

xx
diatomous earth

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 30, 2011, 03:24
by hillfooter
xx
Cat Litter / Diatomous Earth query

Started by poultrygeist on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 15:25
by poultrygeist
xx
Do I Need An Earth Box

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 16:45
by Flowerpower136
xx
how on earth

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 13:29
by dawnie77

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 36 queries.