Hen a bit gurgly and sneezing

• 8 Replies

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Hen a bit gurgly and sneezing
« on: August 25, 2015, 20:42 »
My Bluebell, Clara, was sounding a bit congested tonight when I went to shut them in. She is making little squeaky noises and is sneezing too. She is otherwise fine, eating and drinking as normal, perfectly active, lovely plump, red comb and wattles, no abnormal poos etc. I assume this could be a sign of a respiratory problem. Not much I can do tonight but I'll have to phone the vet in the morning and hope the 'chicken vet' Steve is in. If he isn't in the surgery tomorrow is there anything folks can suggest I can do to help her until Steve is there? Also, do I need to treat all three girls as a precaution? Clara is about two and a half years old now and the other two are only young, about 6 months.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Hen a bit gurgly and sneezing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 07:56 »
If it is myco, it will require antibiotics to clear it up, so I think you will need the vet.  He may well suggest treating the other girls as well.

If Steve isn't there, maybe one of the other vets could call him for you.  Luckily you spotted it right away, so Clara is still in good health otherwise  :)

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 15:43 »
As usual, Sod's Law prevails and 'chicken vet' Steve's day off is now on a Wednesday!! :ohmy: However, one of the other vets has agreed to have a look, so we're taking her later, armed with a list of possible ailments and appropriate treatments. Most likely is myco I think, although no watery eyes or yellow poo. She just gurgles instead of her usual happy chicken noises and sneezes every now and again. Otherwise she seems fine, bright eyed and tail up. We use Stalosan F in the run and coop to sanitise and it's anti-bacterial so should help reduce myco bacteria up to a point, but  they do free range in the garden when we're around, so they clearly aren't completely protected. I'll post the verdict later for info for folks who may have a similar issue in the future.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
Re: Hen a bit gurgly and sneezing - verdict
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 17:10 »
Vet has checked Clara and said she is a bit rattly. He's given her a two week course of Baytril and told us to watch the other two closely for any sign of similar issues. He also said we can never eat Clara's eggs again!!  :ohmy: Chicken vet Steve has never told us this in the past when we have had chickens on Baytril. He has said to withdraw during the course and for a further 4 weeks after the final dose. Clara only lays 3-4 eggs a week these days but even so I would like to eat them. I am inclined to follow Steve's advice, as he has chickens and knows more than any of the others at the practice but has anyone on here got any experience of this 'never again' advice?

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 13:26 »
Actually he's right. I've always assumed that it is okay to eat eggs 28 days after the last treatment of Baytril and I know that I have read it on many forums, but I've just made a point of looking it up and even DEFRA records state that it should never be used in hens that are in the food chain. Everywhere I've looked it says the same, so where has the 28 day egg withdrawal come from - urban myth?
Fortunately, mine have only ever had Tylan which doesn't have the same drastic effect, but it's a frightening thought.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 23:17 »
Thank you Helenaj. However, I am concerned that if DEFRA states that Baytril should not be given to chickens, why vets are still prescribing it.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:53 »
Vets can prescribe drugs not licensed for chooks but would need to justify why. Often it is because it is the best option for the bird. Not much money will be spent on drug research for chooks as commercially they are considered expendable!  :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 12:41 »
Well, the Baytril seems to be working. Two doses and she already a lot less gurgly and no sneezing. I can live with the loss of eggs as long as she's ok.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 16:18 »
Good news  :D

xx
Happy Gurgly Hen

Started by westview on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post February 13, 2011, 09:01
by westview
xx
Sneezing hen.

Started by Bogof on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 22, 2010, 10:30
by joyfull
xx
Sneezing?

Started by chickpea87 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 10:36
by kimT
xx
Sneezing hen

Started by newchickenkeeper on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 10:56
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 38 queries.