What manure is best?

• 13 Replies

Lottie Digger

What manure is best?
« on: August 23, 2015, 16:06 »
hi everyone,
After several years of not adding very much to the soil on my allotment I am now going to this autumn. There is no vehicle access so can't get a truck load delivered will have to hand ball bags in by barrow but which bags to buy? I have seen mushroom compost and farm manure also horse manure which would give the most nourishment for least volume as I don't want to break my back!!
Many Thanks
Lottie

m1ckz

Re: What manure is best?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 16:09 »
out of your choice id pick horse manure  but if u can get cow manure im told u dont get so many weeds

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 17:12 »
but this year im going to use chicken manure pellets

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 19:24 »
Free manure us the best. Find someone with a horse and i bet they will offer you as much as you want for free as long as you collect it.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Beekissed

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 19:30 »
Know anyone who has rabbits?  Such good manure and always plenty of it happening every day.  Would be neat for someone to have a nice little rabbit tractor on their allotment over the winter and just move it around. 

With your current choice, I'd use the horse manure for winter and mushroom mulch for early spring.

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23 »
I'm a great advocate of mushroom compost as a soil improver and it is usually supplied in barrow-able bags with a discount if you get over a certain number and it doesn't contain weed seeds either.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lottie Digger

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 10:23 »
Thanks for your replys, can get free horses but don't think it would do my car much good 😜 Will probably go for ready bagged I can get 50 litres for £2.95 which is reasonable I think..

Audy70

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:12 »
Alpaca manure is good, if you have a local herd/flock, as it can be used fresh.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 18:34 »

"Oss Muck" every time, however, try and get some where the nags have been housed on straw (not wood chips).  I use 'Alpaca Muck' in a bag floating in the water butt.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

miggs

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59 »
Know anyone who has rabbits?  Such good manure and always plenty of it happening every day.  Would be neat for someone to have a nice little rabbit tractor on their allotment over the winter and just move it around. 

With your current choice, I'd use the horse manure for winter and mushroom mulch for early spring.
Why didn't I think of Rabbits, we have them at home and we just bin the droppings. It never occurred to me to use the droppings.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 11:33 »
A friend's family round here breed doves, and apparently, the cage clearings are like rocket fuel as a soil conditioner...

We get farmyard manure at £35.00 a trailer load, and I can get over thirty 8' x 4' beds covered 4" - 6" thick from that, so it's roughly a pound a pop!

(Note for Grendel - Did you ever get anywhere the Old Tannery? There was a derelict upper floor, which was literally knee-deep in pigeon poo, and they had all sorts of problems clearing it out what with the gases etc...)!

Beekissed

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 13:22 »

Why didn't I think of Rabbits, we have them at home and we just bin the droppings. It never occurred to me to use the droppings.

They can be applied directly, without waiting for them to compost, which is why I love them...and easy to spread due to being pelleted.  You can never have too many rabbit raisins on the garden!  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 21:41 »
Bear in mind that mushroom compost is alkaline, so may or may not be suitable for your plot depending on its pH and what you plan to grow / where you plan to grow it next season.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ema

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 18:15 »
What manure to use really does depend on your soil. I your boggy you don't want to add too much muck with organic matter like horse and cow. Chicken pellets would be better.

I keep my rabbits on hay as its best for them which means there bedding has too many grass seeds in to use on the plot without composting first.

If you check gumtree or freecycle there are often people offering bagged horse poo in exchange for bags.

Be Careful with bird poo because it can have nasty bacteria in and should be well composted before going straight on the ground.

Don't forget seaweed if your any where near the coast, dry is very light to bag up and move. But there are certain rules about collecting from beaches so worth checking before visiting.

Also don't forget green manures

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.645 seconds with 36 queries.