when to pick sweetcorn?

• 4 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
when to pick sweetcorn?
« on: August 20, 2015, 21:16 »
I have successfully (?) secured my sweetcorn harvest this year, having had it grabbed by marauding squirrels for the last few years.  My question is this.  The tassels are mainly dark brown, the cobs look swollen.  We go away for a week on Saturday morning..... do I harvest NOW ( ie tomorrow morning)  and freeze whole cobs.... or do I tempt fate and leave to harvest individual cobs when we get back?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: when to pick sweetcorn?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 10:22 »
Make a slit about half way up the sheath of the cob you think is probably the most advanced and squash one of the seeds - if the juice is milky or even thicker than that they probably won't keep well for another week.

If the juice is clear they aren't quite ready yet, so you should be OK for a week (barring a very unlikely heat wave!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:50 »
Follow JayG's advice and, if they're ready, get them in the freezer. Better that than they go over.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 19:01 »
THANKYOU for the advice .... went to the allotment this afternoon at 2pm, did some jobs, went into the Corn "tent" and tested and picked 16 large corn cobs.  They were home, blanched and frozen by 5pm - all except the 4 the grandchildren  took home for their tea at 4.30, and the one I ate as I was preparing them for the freezer bags. So 22 delicious half cobs waiting for us when we get back from Arran next week-end.  I think would have dithered and left them without your help on working out what to do and they would probably gone over.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 20:17 »

I just froze the cobs off the stalk last year, leaving the protective leaves on.  I cook them in that state for 8 minutes in the microwave.    Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
When To Pick Sweetcorn

Started by matt-in-leeds on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 14:00
by paintedlady
xx
How do you know when to pick sweetcorn?

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 14:37
by BabyStar
xx
When are sweetcorn ready to pick?

Started by Catherine on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2008, 10:48
by compostqueen
xx
How do I know when to pick PSB??

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2008, 15:43
by ParsnipPete

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 38 queries.