Lady Di runner beens

• 4 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Lady Di runner beens
« on: August 15, 2015, 12:07 »
First time I have grown this variety and I am very disappointed with the non set of the fruit, 4 ft away I have Blue Lake climbing beens and they are cropping great but Lady Di is a no show, very strange, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lady Di runner beens
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:32 »
Blue Lake, a French bean is self pollinating, whereas the runners rely on insect pollination.

Have you got any flowers to attract the bees etc to your plot?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 12:47 »
I grew Lady Di for a few years before moving on to White Lady - no better or worse than most for early flower drop, and a nice bean when they do arrive.

As Mum says they do need insects to pollinate them (nice fat bumbles are good as the flower has to be 'tripped' to open it by landing on the keel) - some flowers in the area are helpful to attract them, but preferably not too irresistible or too many or they might still ignore your runners! 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 19:09 »
I have grown runners for years and until last year I had my own strain from saved seeds but decided to try a new variety this year. I have nasturtiums planted in the row of beans as sacrificial plants as I have brassicas nearby and there are plenty of flyers around so its very odd, the plants are at the 6 to 8 foot range and not a single pod set, will keep you posted, cheers Dave

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 20:44 »
You are spot on JayG, it only took a few minutes to see that the bees etc are more interested in the nasturtium flowers than the beans, lesson learnt, by trying to be clever and introduce a more luring feast for cabbage whites I have lost a good 4 ft of bean trusses on all my plants, scissors out tomorrow to reduce the nasturtium flowers, cheers Dave

xx
lady di stringless runner beans ???

Started by needssomehelp on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 22:41
by solway cropper
xx
White Lady runner bean seed rot.

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 18:10
by JohnB47
xx
Painted Lady

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 08:55
by Muls
xx
The lady says here comes the snow

Started by Adams-patch on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 04, 2012, 11:38
by mattwragg94

Page created in 1.355 seconds with 38 queries.