Do flubenvet pellets work well?

• 15 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Do flubenvet pellets work well?
« on: August 15, 2015, 03:47 »
Hi all, i have a question regarding flubenvet pellets from ebay.

Do they work well? I cant get flubenvet anywhere? How is the flubenvet mixed with these pellets?

Regards

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Do flubenvet pellets work well?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:47 »
The pellets do work well and as far as I know, the flubenvet is in the mix they make the pellets out of.  The same rules apply as using flubenvet mixed into your own feed.  Only feed the medicated pellets and try and cut out all alternative food sources  :)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 21:40 »
Thanks new shoot :)))

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 00:52 »
might be worthwhile turning the sack over a few times just in case it has settled.

I did but isnt the flubenvet actually mixed inside the pellets when they are made. If im making sense to you lol

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 08:39 »
I did but isnt the flubenvet actually mixed inside the pellets when they are made.

Yes  :) A quick trawl on the internet of the various types of medicated pellets available confirm the Flubenvet is mixed in the feed  ;)

ghost61

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 19:44 »
Yes they work. I have used them.  Short shelf life so only two dosages if you only have a few hens,  it's a bit expensive.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 21:00 »
I used Flubenvet pellets for a while and they worked fine but I have recently gone back to the powder. I just can't cope with their constant pleading to be let out over the 7 day treatment period. Now when I use the powder, I divide the recommended dose by number of days and number of chickens (it is a bit fiddly) and then feed the girls individually every day for a week using a single dose on their favourite treats. It's definitely more work for me than just filling up the feeders with Flubenvet pellets, but the girls are much happier.

Pros - it is incredibly convenient and easy to use the pellets as you simply replace the usual feed for a week.
Cons - you have to feed exclusively, so no free ranging or treats for 7 days, otherwise you can't guarantee they've had a full dose. Also, as ghost61 says, if you've only got a few hens you only get two or three (at most) doses out of a bag, so it's not very cost effective, especially if you factor in shipping.

Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:56 »
In an ideal world the makers of Flubenvet recommend they only eat pellets/mash treated with powder in the same way as the pre treated pellets. Otherwise they are not getting the correct dose.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 16:31 »
Agreed Sassy, if you are mixing the powder with pellets it's no different to giving them pre-treated pellets because if they are supplementing their pellet intake by free ranging you can't tell if they've had enough of the wormer. The amount of food consumed when they're confined in the run is significantly more. I dose individually so I know that each hen has had her full dose each day and because they are so miserable cooped up in the run, even though it's about 8sqm for 3 chickens, which is more space  than a lot of girls have. It is a faddle to work out the dosage for 3 hens (but nothing that a calculator can't fix) and I have had to buy some scales that weigh in micrograms, but the girls are happier and the neighbourhood doesn't have to suffer the very loud and very persistent complaints of chickens that want to come out!!  :tongue2: When I've used the pellets (either pre-treated or mixed by hand) I've worried about them getting the right dose, as I've had some hens who don't eat anything like as much as other bossier, greedier hens, especially the ones at the bottom of the pecking order. The pecking order definitely seems more obvious when they're confined as the bossy girls guard the feeders.   :)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 19:03 »
They are working fine. But 1 hen still has the yellow stuff stuck around her throat and her breath smells really bad.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 19:04 »
It's going to be a week tomorrow.

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 00:48 »
Might be worth a visit to the vet mohs.ayaz.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 08:07 »
I'd agree with Jomtie.

Flubenvet pellets will clear worms, including gape worms, but it sounds like your hen may have something else going on like sour crop mohs.ayaz   :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 08:45 »
I'd agree with Jomtie.

Flubenvet pellets will clear worms, including gape worms, but it sounds like your hen may have something else going on like sour crop mohs.ayaz   :unsure:

I would second this :)

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 23:55 »
Took her to vets this morning and it wasnt gapeworm. Its fungal infection. He gave antibiotics but before using antibiotics he said try some vinegar for good few days see if it clears it up.

xx
Flubenvet Pellets?

Started by neenyneen on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 18:59
by emmaellis
xx
flubenvet in pellets

Started by ma baker on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 10:10
by Marc
xx
flubenvet pellets

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 12:30
by Jomtie
xx
pellets with flubenvet

Started by jennie hennie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 12:48
by jennie hennie

Page created in 0.553 seconds with 38 queries.