Unpleasant compost bin experience!

• 14 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Unpleasant compost bin experience!
« on: August 13, 2015, 12:29 »
Treated myself to a whizz-bang gadget - a compost aerator. Shaped like a giant corkscrew, you wind it into the compost, lift it up - bits from the bottom come to the top - the compost is aerated - genius piece of kit. However, without going into gory details - the other day it was obvious I'd disturbed a mouse nest. I know critters like to nest in bins and I don't want to hurt anything. So, what to do? Do I leave the bins alone? Do I make a noise as I approach? Advice please!   :(
Carpe Diem

ptarmigan

Re: Unpleasant compost bin experience!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:45 »
Ooh, I had this, but rats. I was a big baby and left them to it!

But apparently if you make a noise then they'll scatter, but presumably not if babies. You could leave them to it over the winter and then sort it out in the spring...but I suppose if you persuaded them to rehome now then they've got a chance to settle in before the winter.

I get mice in my shed every winter but they clear out in the spring.

ardenhag

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 13:33 »
Give it a kick or a thump every time you walk past it. They'll soon move somewhere more peaceful.

It's probably a little dry too if they are happy to nest in there....Give it a good soaking with a hose/watering can if it's been dry or you have a lid on it.

Turning it on a regular basis will help them out too...and make compost quicker :)

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 14:13 »
Hi
    Keep disturbing them and put so poison near the bins ,do you realise they will eat your crops (potatoes ,carrots etc)and spread disease by going near your crops .
bazial

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 16:26 »
Oh dear!  I get the gist  :( :(

We live with mice in the walls around the garden and all round the allotment ....  They are just part of country life.  From the sound of it, there isnt a nest any more at the moment, so now is a good time to turn the compost and get it damp.  The adult will move on to make a new nest elsewhere if it isnt quiet and dry .....

Go careful though - this is the time of year when there could be grass snakes incubating in a nice hot compost heap.  That would be wonderful!   :)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 16:39 »
Our site adjoins farmland and the water meadow, and rats are a major problem. We have found that keeping compost nicely damp discouraging them from actually nesting in the bins themselves, and solar powers sonic repellers pointing along paths provide some crop protection. I move these about depending on what the priority is.

I hope that this helps at least reduce their impact
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 17:33 »
Go careful though - this is the time of year when there could be grass snakes incubating in a nice hot compost heap.  That would be wonderful!
Oh - good point, Madcat. I saw Monty the other day carefully moving grass snake eggs. So...is there a grass snake season? Would there be a good time for me to start fiddling with the bins again? I will take to battering the sides of the bins in passing. It's a pain - I wanted to move the contents about on a regular basis. Bless the little critters!   :wacko:

madcat

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 18:35 »
They lay in July and the eggs take 10 weeks to hatch (thanks wikipedia!) so we are bang in the middle of the incubating season ....

I'm pretty sure we have them in our allotment compost heap at the moment.  Each year when we put the compost out on the beds we find the old egg cases, and it is cooking at the moment.  We are right by a stream so it is ideal.  :)  The downside is the number of frogs has dropped off drastically.  ::)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 19:00 »
Hmm...good info, Madcat. So - I'll leave everything to cook until end Oct to be sure of not upsetting small peeps.
I have been reliably informed (by a fairly unreliable source!) that we won't get grass snakes in our bins since our allotment is in the heart of a busy village - quite built-up all round. However - I don't believe that would prevent the existence of the wiggly critters? Would it? What do you think?
What a pilarva!   :wacko:

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 08:27 »
Treated myself to a whizz-bang gadget - a compost aerator. Shaped like a giant corkscrew, you wind it into the compost, lift it up - bits from the bottom come to the top - the compost is aerated - genius piece of kit. However, without going into gory details - the other day it was obvious I'd disturbed a mouse nest. I know critters like to nest in bins and I don't want to hurt anything. So, what to do? Do I leave the bins alone? Do I make a noise as I approach? Advice please!   :(
I can absolutely sympathise Lotty.  Last year when spreading out some lovely compost on one of our beds I saw something move then realised there were little baby mice everywhere! Somehow I hadn't damaged them and OH gathered them up and put them behind the compost bin in a small box.  When we looked a few minutes later they had all gone, mum mouse had gathered them up amazingly.  Since then I've had a few mousey close encounters, including a couple of days ago when one popped up in a sack I'd stored some cooked compost in.  I dread wounding any but must make compost.  I knew about turning it frequently and do try but it's usually a job at the bottom of my list as its a massive workout!  I didn't know about water deterring them with water though I suppose it's obvious. We are surrounded by fields and I'm happy to watch them at a distance but worry about close encounters!

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08 »
I knew about turning it frequently and do try but it's usually a job at the bottom of my list as its a massive workout! 
Well, with my new-found corkscrew gadget, it's not really manual labour - and I'm a weak and feeble female!  ::)
I'd been fiddling with the compost on a weekly basis and it's nice and loose and cooking beautifully. Now - I'm nervous about messing with it - a mouse appearing will just make me jump - it's not that - I don't want to damage inhabitants. I can see that soaking it would deter them - but - can a compost bin be too wet? I'll stick to bashing the bins every time I pass.  :wacko:

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 16:50 »
Hello gardeners,
I had the same problem a few years ago.
Mouse traps didn't work. The mice ignored them.
I use to give the bin (a plastic one) a kick now and again when passing.
Then I found out they were going into the greenhouse at times (either during the day or during the night) put the traps there and not seen them since.
Also I saturated the bin with water and now ensure it's kept moist.
But do still occasionally find slow worm in there. But that alright with me.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 17:01 »
Assuming you have access to a hose and are allowed to use it, how about poking it in through the (otherwise useless ::)) access hatch near the bottom of the dalek and slowly soaking just the bottom few inches of compost (I'm also assuming the mice are nesting in the drier stuff which is often near the bottom.)

Could work, and would be better than having the whole contents sopping wet.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ema

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 09:52 »
I accidently killed a poor little vole that had been living in my compost recently :( I've stopped using the wooden open type compost bins for composting, I'm just putting stuff to go to the tip in them like bind weed & couch grass.

Someone gave me a darlek and I mean to put some concrete slabs underneath. I know it doesn't do the compost any good but I'm too squeamish to deal with rodents and accidently killing them. - I guess this is why the super duper rotating bins off the ground are so good.

Thanks for the tip re keeping the compost wet, my darlek at home is very dry and I've been being a water cheapskate and not chucking anything on it. don't want rats at home although we have plenty of local cats

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 10:15 »
I so agree, Ema. I've got two of the rotating bins in the garden at home...both from Freecycle a few years back. They are really good at keeping the compost aerated but we did have a furry visitor. I noticed that one of the lower holes had been nibbled round the edges -  :ohmy: and a little devil shot out of the hole when I tapped the bin! Maybe Somerset mice are particularly enterprising and athletic! I thought about having these bins up on the lotty, but they do need a fair bit of space to rotate and my lotty isn't massive with bins tucked in at one end.
I'm torn between leaving my lotty bins to stew until next year - or aerating them with caution and eyes averted. This is a problem I hadn't considered when I bit the allotment lady's arm off two months ago when we were offered our lotty. Hmmmm.... :unsure:

xx
unpleasant mealy bug surprise

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 23, 2018, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
Hello, how can I get this product? And has anyone had experience with this?

Started by Milisav on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 21, 2021, 16:51
by Blackpool rocket
xx
Your experience of pears

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post August 12, 2016, 11:27
by Middlesexbloke
xx
Kailaan. Anyone have experience?

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 16:26
by Irene

Page created in 0.426 seconds with 29 queries.