Bracken

• 9 Replies

oakridge

Bracken
« on: August 06, 2015, 16:47 »
I was interested in your piece on bracken mentioned in the newsletter.  My acid land is plagued with bracken, brambles, nettles and cleavers - a delightful combination - and I have been engaged in the fight since 1986.  The best treatment we have found is outdoor sows who dig up the roots, but now we have no livestock so I have had to try other methods.  If you have the space and equipment rolling the young plants is very effective, but my land is rough and hilly so my Honda strimmer does a good job, but is not a quick fix.  In the old days Asulox was available which I could buy under Grandfather Rights (which ends in November), but that is banned now.

The little shoots contain arsenic I was told, but I have never seen that in writing.  I had also understood that the sporing season was mid August to mid September, but Christine keeps an eye on the plants for signs of spore production.

Malcolm

P.S.  Here is a photo with some of the little darlings in the background.
DSC_3542small.jpg

Goosegirl

Re: Bracken
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:33 »
Maybe this will be of some help:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=445
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 13:15 »
Thank you for that, an interesting article.  I have looked at the bracken and it is producing spores now so that is strimming finished for now.  Although the land is acid I find that bracken spread under rhododendrom and azalea bushed helps them along.

Malcolm

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 13:26 »
John also has an article on the main website for the forum if you are interested  :)

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing/bracken-control.php

oakridge

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 14:07 »
Thank you for that one also.  The bit about burning bracken is interesting, but if that will turn it into good fertiliser with a higher Ph it is worth a try.  I have a couple of old 45 gallon oil drums... hmmmm.

Because I produce compost on a fairly large scale it does seem to rot down pretty well.

Malcolm

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 12:22 »
Just be careful when burning the bracken as you don't want to let it get out of control, and I wouldn't use oil to light it for the same reason, plus it could contaminate the soil underneath. My OH has suggested an alternative. He shoots in an old quarry which has a lot of bracken and they got in touch with English Nature (he thinks that's what it's called) as to how to control it. They allow them to use a spray but they may suggest other ways more suitable.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 13:32 »
Just be careful when burning the bracken as you don't want to let it get out of control, and I wouldn't use oil to light it for the same reason, plus it could contaminate the soil underneath.

I think Oakridge was thinking about using old, empty oil drums to burn the bracken in  :) 

oakridge

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2015, 14:08 »
Thank you both for your replies.  Yes I am planning to use 45 gallon steel drums which were used for compost making so the already have holes drilled around the outside.  Once the bracken is starting to go brown it does make fantastic compost, albeit quite acid, when we had livestock it was fantastic soft bedding.

As I posted earlier on the subject of sprays, I used to use Asulox, but that has been banned for some time and glyphosate really does not cut the mustard - or kill the bracken.

Malcolm

jezza

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2015, 23:00 »
hi i cut bracken down at the end of september using 3mm strimmer line i put the strimmer down on the  top of the bracken this shreds the stems and splits them in to the ground if theres any regrowth and its mild i give the shoots a dose of SBKbrush wood killer if the weather is mild  if also noticed if its frosty after strimming this knocks the regrowth back the patch i cut is slowly getting less  jezza

oakridge

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:14 »
Thank you jezza for your.  Yes, I use the square strimmer line it is very effective.  I have 1.25 acres in the 'yard' of which about 2000sq yds are in use of some sort.  The rest is a battleground of brambles, bracken, nettles and cleavers which I am gradually beating back, but I am not getting any younger.

Malcolm

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 37 queries.