Broody Hen Given a Chance

• 22 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Broody Hen Given a Chance
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 09:28 »
I never use straw, it is a hollow tube which can be a hiding place for redmites and over here in the UK owing to our wet and warm summer we are seeing lots of cases of them.
If your chicks are of the feather legged or feather footed breeds then yes both hay and straw will get tangled around them, if they are clean legged etc then less likely so. Short chopped bedding such as a hemp based or rape based is better to avoid those problems.
Staffies are softer than you think.

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 20:56 »
Thanks for the advice. Tomorrow is D day Broody went on the eggs @ 16.00 on the 3rd. Just wondering if the chicks should be hatched tomorrow evening ? Or will they start to hatch. It's just the 21 day thing that's confusing.

BB

Sassy

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 09:46 »
In an ideal world day one is the first full day after the hen starts to sit so count from there. But ....... We don't live in an ideal world. Still confused? I think I am as well! :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Beekissed

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 17:35 »
I've learned that I'll get chicks when I hear the peeping and see the little boogers poking out from under mama.  I was instrumental in killing two chicks this season by being impatient and wanting to see under that hen...two little ones got crushed in my efforts to see due to how it made that inexperienced broody react to my proddings and lifting her up.  I'm an old hat at broodies and chicks, you'd think I would have known better, but never had a hen go crazy like that before....from now on I'll stow my curiosity and let nature happen. 

I'd just wait and see what pops out, no matter what day it is. 

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2015, 21:58 »
Went up to the plot today after finishing work. The Broody has not been off the nest today. Corn and water untouched. Detected a slight change though, she didn't make that rasping sound when I entered. She was just making a quiet rosey sound. So maybe she knows that the hatch is about to begin.

BB

Beekissed

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 22:27 »
They can hear the chicks peeping in the shell.  If you are incubating chicks and can hear them peeping in there, you can do that particular buck, buck, buck sound a hen makes and those chicks will peep like crazy in reply!   :lol: 

You are about to enter the Cuteness Zone and will never be the same again!   :)

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 18:39 »
Well that's the waiting over. Went to the plot this morning couldn't see anything. Made the buck buck sound and thought I heard something. Then a chick poked it's head out. Later on I discovered the Broody had got off the nest. There were 2 unhatched out of 6. She has not returned to the nest so I assume she has given up on them. I went in the shed and she was not happy with my presence. So I will leave her be for a day or  two.

Thank you to all those who have advised on this topic.

BB

Beekissed

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 05:10 »
YAY!!!  That's not a bad hatch rate, especially for her first time.  So fun to have a broody and chicks to watch.  Thanks for letting us know how it all went....so glad it had a good outcome.   :)

xx
ive got the chance of 2 more

Started by pauldc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 20, 2008, 18:11
by mdueal
xx
Any chance you could all think of me tomorrow?

Started by NormandyMary on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 21:33
by compostqueen
xx
There's a small chance I might be getting...

Started by SalJ1980 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 18:41
by happy chick
xx
Colin has lost his last chance

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2008, 13:18
by Lost in France

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.