Any tips on discouraging wasps?

• 12 Replies

Urban Farmer

• My first year as an allotmenteer!
Any tips on discouraging wasps?
« on: August 03, 2015, 19:07 »
My beginners luck has definitely worn off.

A couple of weeks ago I started to notice some extra activity on my plot. After a few trips I quickly determined that there was a wasps nest on my allotment, or at least 90% sure as they were moving so quickly. I emailed the Council and they had someone sort it out that week - result!!

Fast forward about half a week later. I am telling my neighbour about what happened while looking at the same area. Then I notice again, in and out, in and out, in and out, more wasps! Although still not sure that it was a nest, my brave neighbour (without me asking or suggesting) picks up the empty bag of manure and in the first half of that second I see about 30 wasps underneath it and by the end of that second I had ran away!!!

So, long story over. I have reported it to the council again, however can anyone suggest anything I can do to stop the wasps coming back?
Pipp
--------------------
You can see my plot diary here:   http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=119949.msg1412051#msg1412051
and any comments are welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=119948.0

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Any tips on discouraging wasps?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 19:11 »
Hanging up something the size and shape of a wasps' nest will discourage them, as they will think the site is taken already. You can make one out of newspaper, or buy these... try googling to find suppliers.

Hope that helps :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Urban Farmer

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 20:10 »
Hanging up something the size and shape of a wasps' nest will discourage them, as they will think the site is taken already. You can make one out of newspaper, or buy these... try googling to find suppliers.

Hope that helps :)

Thanks Sunshine Band! Do you think that will that work if the wasps have been nesting in the ground?

JoshP

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 21:39 »
Wait until late evening when their activity is at its lowest. The expanding foam wasp killer has always worked well for me, just spray it straight into the main nest entrance.

Urban Farmer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 22:06 »
Wait until late evening when their activity is at its lowest. The expanding foam wasp killer has always worked well for me, just spray it straight into the main nest entrance.

I'm happy to let the council take care of them for now, especially when they're so quick! But I just need them to stop coming back :(

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 23:49 »
I just leave them be and they clear off when the weather gets cold.  They seem to like nesting in the muck heap.  They nested in my neighbour's shed one year and she just left them to it  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 23:58 »
There was one in my compost heap last year, it mean't I couldn't turn it for a while, but otherwise we left each other alone.  I left it because I felt guilty about scraping off a nest in progress from the inside of my shed roof.
Anne

snow white

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:59 »
Unless they are stinging you and/or creating a nuisance, I would leave them alone.  They eat caterpillars! If however they are in the way I would put a trap for them.  I get a squash bottle, cut the top off and invert it back onto the bottle.  Fill it with something sweet, squash, lager, honey water.  Wasps go in and cant get out.  I have trapped hundreds this way.  When it gets full you empty it and start again.  I managed to empty a nest this way.  Use two bottles if you have a lot.  And keep them near to the place that gets infested, that way it can never get out of hand.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18 »
They our allotment/garden friends, and unless they're a real danger I would always leave them. I like wildlife on my plot and on balance I think they help rather than hinder. I'm averse to killing anything as you eliminate one "problem" and land yourself with another. 

I was eyeballed by a large rabbit on my plot the other day. He was sunbathing under my red cabbages despite my over the top defences  :nowink:  We think we have all the answers don't we  :lol:

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 12:11 »
Wasps are great for pest control, instead of being afraid of them just sit and watch how they go about their business ,, you might be surprised, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

al78

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 18:10 »
Wasps are great for pest control, instead of being afraid of them just sit and watch how they go about their business ,, you might be surprised, Dave

They are not great for those who get stung and have an adverse reaction. I got stung on Saturday and my left forearm and hand swelled up significantly, and is only now just starting to get better. First time I have had a reaction like that.

Urban Farmer

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 11:24 »
Unless they are stinging you and/or creating a nuisance, I would leave them alone.  They eat caterpillars! If however they are in the way I would put a trap for them.  I get a squash bottle, cut the top off and invert it back onto the bottle.  Fill it with something sweet, squash, lager, honey water.  Wasps go in and cant get out.  I have trapped hundreds this way.  When it gets full you empty it and start again.  I managed to empty a nest this way.  Use two bottles if you have a lot.  And keep them near to the place that gets infested, that way it can never get out of hand.

Thanks Snow White, that sounds like a good suggestion.

The reason I want to get rid of them instead of living harmoniously (which would tend to be my go to option) is that I've only had my allotment for a few months and there is a lot of clearing that still needs to be done. The wasps nest is next to the bags of rubbish I have collected and it's been quite hard to move them without disturbing them. I am also very allergic to certain types of insect bites and I'm not sure if I want to take my chances with wasps - I don't think I want to find out if I am very allergic to them.

As the nest isn't too big at the moment I will keep an eye on them. I will do my best to try and discourage them from now on as of course I don't really want to exterminate any wildlife.

They our allotment/garden friends, and unless they're a real danger I would always leave them. I like wildlife on my plot and on balance I think they help rather than hinder. I'm averse to killing anything as you eliminate one "problem" and land yourself with another. 

I was eyeballed by a large rabbit on my plot the other day. He was sunbathing under my red cabbages despite my over the top defences  :nowink:  We think we have all the answers don't we  :lol:

Hehe that made me giggle. Cheeky rabbit!!

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 17:41 »
If they get too bad I tend to go indoors to drink my cider / zider  :tongue2:

Pip pip,
Balders

xx
WASPS

Started by nickthegreek on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post August 27, 2009, 16:46
by Greengirl
xx
Wasps

Started by Eristic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 17:39
by Ian_P
xx
Wasps

Started by milan on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 19:49
by milan
xx
wasps

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2017, 22:02
by Salmo

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 37 queries.