Potted raspberry confusion

• 3 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Potted raspberry confusion
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:03 »
There I was, in the garden centre, admiring a rather handsome potted raspberry. Autumn Gold. I nearly fell over when I saw it was marked at £13.99! Then I read the ticket - it was a pot of ten canes - so, not so steep, I thought. However, there was certainly a bunch of dead-looking twigs in the centre - that I couldn't count as they were tied together. There were a number of good, new canes growing up from somewhere in the pot. So...is this a potted raspberry? Or a pot full of bare root plants? Or a pot full of dead stuff?   :wacko:
Carpe Diem

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Potted raspberry confusion
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:41 »
It was bare root canes, which come bundled together and stuck in a pot of earth to stop them drying out, but ........ its too early for bare root stock in garden centres, so that is stock from last autumn/winter.  It sounds like some of the original canes died off, but some have sprouted in the pot.

They should have reduced that months ago or chucked it.  Leave it alone and wait for the new stock, which should be in around October\November through to February\March  ;)

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 07:49 »
Many thanks Newshoot. That makes perfect sense. But - you put your faith in Garden Centres, don't you? How many unsuspecting folk are going to buy these things - naughty.   ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:47 »
I was going to say you might want to pick another garden centre in future, but I didn't know if it was your favourite one and if that would upset you  :)

It wouldn't inspire any confidence in me  ;)  Its poor stock rotation at best and as you say, unfair on anyone who didn't know what they were buying. 

xx
Planting raspberry canes - bare root or potted?

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 10, 2013, 20:46
by Sparkyrog
xx
more raspberry confusion.

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 07:19
by sunshineband
xx
raspberry pruning confusion.

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 16:59
by 3759allen
xx
Summer / Autumn raspberry confusion

Started by Stoatus on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 22:28
by Stoatus

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 37 queries.