Scabby Spuds

• 10 Replies

BARNACLE BILL

Scabby Spuds
« on: July 31, 2015, 20:00 »
I have grown my potatoes in the ground and in sacks. The spuds in the sacks are fine and have delivered a good yield. Dug up the first plant in the ground today. Noticed the had hard raised lesions. Google it and it seems they have Scab. Should I dispose of the tubers. Is there any problem with the eating them? after cutting away the infected areas.
Obviously this bed will need to be avoided for potatoes for a while. Is there any other crops to avoid? Also is this a transient disease or does the soil remain infected for some time? P.s They were second earlies can't remember the variety. Must start a diary next year !!

Thanks

BB
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 20:38 by mumofstig »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: SCABBY SPUDS
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 20:14 »
Scab only affects the surface and the spuds are fine to eat.

It can often be caused by a soil that is too alkaline.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 20:15 »
Some of the Vivaldi we have dug up has a touch of scab. We still eat them.

Flowertot

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 20:22 »
I get scab on my fee draining soil if I don't water them enough. Some varieties are more susceptible than others. I just scrub them (or peel it off if really bad) and they are fine to eat.

BARNACLE BILL

Re: Scabby Spuds
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 21:09 »
Thanks I defiantly think there was a lack of water around April time ! So if the culprit was to alkaline soil ( which I will carry out a PH check) How do you acidify the soil ? Well rotted horse manure ?

BB

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 21:10 »
best thing is to find resistant varieties and feed with comfrey tea, i read somewhere the potassium helps reduce it.
lady christl and casablanca are resistant for fe, nadine, saxon for 2nd, but im sure there are many others
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 21:11 by Rampant_Weasel »

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 21:10 »
As you can see you're not alone....I've got scabby Charlottes too. I don 't worry about the skins too much and only peel if they are really bad. Happens when I don't water properly, which I haven't this year. There's no need to worry about the soil etc.  :)

JoshP

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 21:18 »
They are fine to eat, only affects the skin, so peel away any bits you don't like the look of. Watering regularly will help reduce scab

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 21:25 »
We've had the same on our spuds, have grown main crop in the last two years. This year we have grown earlies . How have the ground ones compared regarding yield, you mentioned that you grew in sacks with a good yield.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

BARNACLE BILL

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 22:11 »
The ground one I pulled yielded 5 spuds. To be fair they were on the large side. Albeit with scab. The ones in the sack I just dig my hand in and pull up the tubers. There are 3 seeds to a sack. I have only dug into the first 6 inches so there will be lot's more further down.

Definitely realised it was due to lack of watering early doors. Down to the advice of a fellow allotmenter who stated don't waste your water on the spuds.

We don't have a mains supply !

BB

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 16:03 »
Tricky if there is no water supply, BB. You are very much at the mercy of the weather.

Trying to incorporate as much organic matter as possible when you plant the seed potatoes might help --- well rotted manure, grass cuttings, cut up comfrey leaves will all be suitable, if you have them.

Adding some sulphur chips will slightly reduce the pH of the soil, but making sure your potatoes do not follow something like cabbages that like an alkaline environment will also help avoid a high pH for them.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Scabby spuds

Started by bayleaf on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 17, 2021, 14:55
by Fishplate42
xx
Scabby Spuds

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2009, 17:52
by Iain@JBA
xx
scabby Plums

Started by Shandy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 21, 2012, 13:46
by plum crumble
xx
scabby poatoes

Started by brenda on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 20:46
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 36 queries.