Jam novice. Pectin question

• 3 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Jam novice. Pectin question
« on: July 29, 2015, 08:57 »
Hello
Not made much jam and my adventures have been confined to jostaberries. Wow! BEST jam ever and a perfect, painless set every time.
Now, I understand that other berries - raspberries and blackcurrants - for example, need some pectin added. I also understand that you can add apples to achieve the set. I'd rather not buy pectin. My question is - how much apple do I use? Please don't say - how long is a piece of string!   :wacko: :wacko: :dry:
Carpe Diem

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Jam novice. Pectin question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04 »
I tend to use a quarter to a third of apples to weight of fruit. If you whizz the apple up in the processor you don't get lumps of apple, just a lighter raspberry or whatever jam which I prefer to over boiled sticky stuff.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:22 »
I use 4oz of grated cooking apples to a pound of fruit, cooked in a little water to a pulp then add to the fruit and cook the berries slowly until they are very soft and only a little liquid.

Then add the sugar and continue.

This ratio of apple to fruit gives you a good set and does not dilute the taste of the fruit you are using.

Blackcurrant and other currants are high in pectin and do not need any other pectin added. It is mainly the berry fruits that are the tricky ones.

Another way to test how much pectin you have in the fruit is to put a spoonful of the cooked fruit,( without the sugar) into some methylated spirits and if it turns to a solid blob of jelly you have a good amount of pectin.

I am in a bit of a rush at the moment but if you PM me to remind me, when I get back later today I can post a couple of my berry recipes which work. There is a way of making strawberry jam to keep some of the strawberries whole .

Mrs Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 20:19 »
Ok finished baby cuddling, finished supper and the vinegar for the capers is cooling and the juice from the quinces is cooling in the fridge until tomorrow so here goes with the strawberry jam recipe.

I usually make my jam from frozen fruit as it softens the fruit nicely and I use the juice from the strawberries to cook the grated Bramley apple.
It also means that you can pop your fruit into the freezer as it ripens and it will wait until you are ready.

It also means that you don't need to add any water to your strawberries when you are cooking them which cuts down cooking time and gives you a fresher flavour.

If you are using fresh fruit then just cooked the grated apple in enough water to just cover them.

Another tip when making jam is to simmer gently as hard boiling will kill off any pectin that is there.

5lb strawberries
5lb sugar
7 and1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice
10oz of grated Bramley apple

Strain the frozen strawberries and use the juice to cook the grated apple gently until it is pulpy.
(if using fresh cook in a little water) no more than 1/2pint as it will take longer to cook off the excess water.

Put 2lb of the strawberries into a bowl and cover with 1lb of sugar and leave overnight. Leave whole if they are small or cut in half if very large.

The next day put the remaining 3lb of strawberries, lemon juice, cooked apple and crush roughly with a potato masher. Then simmer gently until most of the liquid has simmered away and the strawberries are soft and cooked.

If you are using fresh strawbs add about 1/2 pint of water and simmer on a low heat until the strawberries have released their juices and then continue to simmer until they are cooked.

Next check for pectin by putting a small teaspoonful of the cooked strawberries in an old jam jar with some methylated spirits. Wait a minute and check. If the strawberry has turned into a firm jelly like clot you have enough pectin for a set. If not simmer for a little longer to evaporate a little more of the water.

Then add the 2lb of strawberries which are in the sugar and the rest of the sugar and stir on a gentle heat until the sugar dissolves completely.

Add a teaspoon of sunflower oil, which will stop any air bubbles turning into an unsightly scum, and bring to a rolling boil. When the jam turns to a rich red remove from the heat, put a spoonful on a cold plate, stick it in the fridge and go and have a cuppa. Check your set when it is completely cold.it should wrinkle on the plate.
If it doesn't, boil for a little longer until you get a set.  Another indication that it is ready, is when the jam falls from the wooden spoon in blobs or flakes.

Leave the jam to stand for a few minutes so that the whole strawbs do not rise to the top of the jar.
Pot in sterilised jars. This make about 10 jars.

Once you are practised at making strawberry you can ring the changes by adding

7 tsp vanilla extract to the pan when you have a set.
or rind of  3 oranges to the cooking strawberries and 1 tsp Cointreau to each jar.
Or add the fruit of 7 passion fruit to the set jam and simmer for a couple of minutes

Black berry I use 1lb grated Bramley cooked in 1/4 pint of water to 4lb blackberries and 4 lb sugar.
If using frozen fruit do not use any water to cook the berries if using fresh use a scant 1/2 pint

Hope that helps.

With raspberries I always make rhubarb and raspberry as the rhubarb multiplies the flavour of the raspberries. That recipe is made differently to above recipes. Let me know if want the recipe.

Any problems PM me and I will try to help. :)

xx
Pectin question

Started by littlelisa on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 15:45
by mumofstig
xx
Pectin

Started by Membrillo on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2011, 20:26
by Membrillo
xx
Pectin, what is it?

Started by rictic on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 22:15
by johnfh
xx
pectin

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 21:08
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 36 queries.