Lifting Onions

• 8 Replies

fatbelly

Lifting Onions
« on: July 28, 2015, 15:20 »
Hi All,

My Onions have bulbed up and are now big enough for me & I want to lift them.
I sowed them back end of March, but they haven't fell over yet & the foliage is still green (some are turning).
Will I harm the long term storage potential by lifting them 'early'.
Thanks FB 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 15:21 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lifting Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 18:16 »
If you want to store them long term, then yes you will reduce the length of time they store for if you lift them early.

If you have to lift them now, then suggest you chop and freeze them.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 18:34 »
I don't know what the weather is like in your area but up here it is not onion drying weather, sick and tired of been indoors and starting to get cabin fever, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

stripeypaul

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 23:06 »
I lifted my onions this week. Plenty of the green foliage had died well back, but the intense rain we have had looked to be damaging the onions.
They had plenty of mouldy spots appearing and the outer skins looked sodden. I have now removed the dead foliage from the tops of the onions as they were rotting rather than drying. I cut the worst of the rotting matter off 4 inches from the bulb and where possible removed any mouldy layers of wet skin that looked like it might rot if left.

I've now wiped them dry with some clean cloths and stored them in my garage on a large wire rack.

Do you think they will dry out ok and will I be in with a chance of storing them?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 23:26 »
I wouldn't be confident about long term storage - keep an eye on them and if they seem to be rotting off more, then chop and freeze.

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 01:02 »
Fatbelly - if your onions have not fallen over yet they are still growing and will be putting on weight. Sown in March I would not really expect them to be ready for another couple of weeks. Once they have fallen over and have obviously given up you can ease them gently with a fork to break their roots. After a few days pull them up and rub any earth off.  Either leave them on the ground or better make some sort of a frame to keep them off the ground and let the air under them. If you can hang them in a shed or greenhouse with plenty of air circulating so much the better. Once they are dry you can cut some of the top off. Leave a good neck as this protects the onion. Just remember that when your onions are dry then dry them some more.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 07:57 »
Thanks for the good advice Salmo, I appreciate it & will do as you say

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:55 »
On the subject of gently lifting them to break the roots, the RHS has this to say:

Quote from: RHS
Although it is sometimes suggested to bend over the foliage or gently lift the bulbs to break the roots this is no longer recommended.

Don't ask me why!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Steveharford

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:57 »
I harvested mine last week but they were still green. Some had fallen over but most were still upright mainly,i think, because they were supported by the weeds which shot up over the few weeks i was away. They didnt need a fork to loosen them though as most were just sat on the soil and i just went along lifting them by hand. Nice  and easy ! May have been because i applied a  lot of spent multipurpose compost on the ground before planting (sets). Good crop though !

xx
What to do after lifting onions?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 19, 2012, 18:52
by madcat
xx
lifting spuds

Started by flitwickone on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 22:30
by Mash Mad
xx
Lifting Potatoes

Started by Marston on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:30
by DD.
xx
Anyone lifting shallots yet?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2017, 22:33
by shedmeister

Page created in 0.44 seconds with 36 queries.