white rot

• 10 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
white rot
« on: July 23, 2015, 16:49 »
For the first time some of my onions have developed white rot.  I have binned the most affected'm some are ok to eat.  I have read about watering in a garlic solution does this work. Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: white rot
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 17:58 »
It's what the onion industry is working on at present but they are mainly experimenting with a solution of macerated onion waste.  The verdict is not certain yet and it is not a licensed method for amateur use yet  :nowink:  but it looks hopeful for the future.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 18:29 »
lost half mine to white rot     not sure why this year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 18:35 »

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:17 »
I have had problems with white rot for several years now and have in the past treated the bed with Garlic powder ahead of any planting. This year I did not do it and the number of onions affected defiantly was more than before. So for me it does appear to work and the logic seems perfectly reasonable. 
I have therefore been up the equestrian centre and purchased another bucket and already applied a treatment to bed I will plant in next year. I will apply another treatment in the autumn.

Shallots get affected but seem to be much more resistant and far fewer need throwing away.
Glen

OldFerret

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:07 »
I have therefore been up the equestrian centre and purchased another bucket and already applied a treatment to bed ...

Is that stuff definitely free of the spores?

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 10:51 »
That is impossible to say and equally hard to say if the onion sets bought are free as well. However, the principle is that the spores become active and that as there are no actual plants for them to feed on they die. It either that or chemicals.

bravemurphy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:47 »
I got it this year on the sets I planted and am sure the white rot came with them because the onions from seed in the same bed are not affected.
I have read about the garlic thing and the spores dying, but next year it will be all from seed for me and see what happens.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 14:55 »
I got white rot this year for the first time. Took half my overwintered Senshyu Japanese onion, but spring -sown Sturon sets and all shallots seem unaffected.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 14:56 »
I got it this year on the sets I planted and am sure the white rot came with them because the onions from seed in the same bed are not affected.

This may be basal rot, which can be imported on the sets - it doesn't persist in the soil as long as white rot. Try lifting some soil from under the effected bulbs and disposing of it, and don't grow onions there for 5 years to be on the safe side. (white rot can live as Sclerotia, the black dots, for at least 15 years :( )

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 00:36 »
I have persistent white rot on my plot, but love home-grown garlic, shallots and onions. For the 2 years prior to this one, I did water in a mixture of water and crushed garlic onto the soil in early autumn (the soil needs to be warm) on the bed where I intended to grow alliums the following year. When I have done this, my loss rate is very low due to white rot (perhaps 5 or 10%). This last autumn, I forgot to do it, and have had a real problem with my overwintered garlic, which is about 50% gone. My view is that it has certainly worked for me.

In terms of onion, I grown Golden Bear F1 from seed - this seems to show some resistance to white rot.

I've managed to salvage white rot affected crops though - you simply remove any damaged tissue (there's usually lots of healthy plant left) and process ready for the freezer - I now have a huge box of ready-chopped garlic in the freezer, which makes cooking so easy!

xx
White Rot , again.

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 13:42
by mumofstig
xx
White Fly

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 21:59
by colin120
xx
white rot

Started by frazzy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 20:36
by muntjac
xx
White Fly

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 22:52
by cooperman

Page created in 0.414 seconds with 38 queries.