drying onions

• 9 Replies

jambop

drying onions
« on: July 23, 2015, 15:22 »
My onions are starting to fall over so will need lifting and drying soon. I have an open lean-to w2hich is I the shade so they would get dry coolish conditions there rather than full sun which is very powerful and hot. Which is the best option for drying them? A few years back I left them in the ground until the tops were nearly dry before lifting and they did well then but it was much later in the year when the matured that year. I don't want to cook them :)

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
Re: drying onions
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 16:20 »
I would leave them in the soil as long as its dry. Mine also seem to be starting to ripen early than normal this year. Last year i dried them off in my cold greenhouse with the window and door open all day and night and then strung them up. They lasted all winter.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 16:29 »
Mine also seem to be starting to ripen early than normal this year

bear in mind that jambop is posting somewhere in the south of France  ;)

Temperatures there I imagine will be well above UK so your shade will most likely be warmer than our sunny LOL 

Leave in or lift up ... personally I think I would lift up once the leaves have completely flopped over and were showing signs of dying back.  If the ground is dry, I think more-so as there would be nothing worse than having a crop nice and dry and then a thunderstorm drenches everything

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 17:59 »
For what it's worth I'm digging mine up a few everyday .

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 09:51 »
An open lean-to sounds ideal.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:55 »
Plenty of air passing round them to blow away any surface moisture is best too.

jambop

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 19:00 »
So what I did was lift them ad put them I the shaded lean-to hopefully they will dry out nicely... plenty of summer still to come so I don't see why not.

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:32 »
I place mine in a gravel tray and they go out on the garden table top during dry days and live in the shed on wet days and nights. then when ready get tied in bunches and hung in the shed.
2015-07-22 Onions from seed.jpg
2015-06-15 Over Wintered Onions Harvest.jpg
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 11:10 by cadalot »

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:24 »
In the past I think I've lifted mine too soon but last year they were left until the leaves went really yellow. When lifted, I place them on some old refrigerator shelves to dry but you can use chicken wire suspended on supports. Anything will do as long as they get as much air around them as you can. As your temps are warmer than ours, try and dry them outside rather than in the GH.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 17:56 »
My onions are starting to fall over so will need lifting and drying soon. I have an open lean-to w2hich is I the shade so they would get dry coolish conditions there rather than full sun which is very powerful and hot. Which is the best option for drying them? A few years back I left them in the ground until the tops were nearly dry before lifting and they did well then but it was much later in the year when the matured that year. I don't want to cook them :)

Last year I made the mistake of leaving them under the transparent roof of the open sided shelter, and they did get slightly "cooked" *, so this year Mr S made a wooden frame on blocks, covered with debris netting to give enough air circulation, and so far the Autumn planted onions have dried off very well out in the open. The frame will be pressed into service again very soon for the Summer crop. It does take two of us to move it under the shelter if it is raining though, as the onions are so heavy.

* Yes, I should have known better  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Drying onions...getting wet

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 14:03
by strangerachael
xx
drying onions

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 29, 2006, 20:25
by BillinPA
xx
drying onions

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2017, 08:56
by rowlandwells
xx
drying onions

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 20:44
by PennyS

Page created in 0.574 seconds with 36 queries.