What bug is this..?!

• 4 Replies

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
What bug is this..?!
« on: July 18, 2015, 10:38 »
There's loads of them on my plot, especially on the broad beans and they're mating like crazy.

I've observed them, they don't appear to eat the crop, nor the black fly on them either so I don't know if they are friendly or foe.

I'm worried in storing up a larval issue for myself but don't want to interfere if they're friendly.

Please help!

Ok I just typed this out and found I can't upload the pic off my phone- they are about 1.5 cm long beetles that are a tan orange colour with a brownish tip to their wing casing. They are thin.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: What bug is this..?!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 11:58 »
Does it look anything like this?
https://www.google.bg/search?q=soldier+beetle&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI6uHHrsLkxgIVJwbbCh2QOgUy#imgrc=G2NuV6aDcAeisM%3A

If it is, it's a good guy. If you click on images you will find the reddish ones on there
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:59 by tosca100 »

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 13:41 »
Good description. Almost certainly Soldier Beetles - mating is their most popular activity.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 17:53 »
There are about 40 different species of Soldier beetle in the UK, one of which is popularly known as the Hogweed Bonking Beetle (gurgle it if you don't believe me!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 00:45 »
Thanks folks, it looks like the friendly bonking beetle to me, yes indeedy I can believe it, it's been at least a week long orgy on the broad beans!!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 00:46 by Bohobumble »

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 38 queries.